icon

need suggestions for 7 screen in dash

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
psyon 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  

I have an Audi Allroad....  it has a factory double-din radio, and i am putting a CarPC into the vehicle.

I have a 7" Xenarc touchscreen that i will be putting in the dash where the radio is.  I have never worked with fiberglass or anything before, but i figure a good way to start is with a small screen in the dash.

i purchased this Scosche adapter on ebay:

need suggestions for 7 screen in dash - Last Post -- posted image.

I plan on cutting out the bottom pocket part with a dremel, and using that entire opening for the screen.  Obviously i'd need to fill the edges as it won't be the exact dimensions for the screen.  What is the best method to do this?  bondo?  fiberglass?  anything else?  keep in mind i have ZERO experience building anything (i have installed a couple of car stereos on some of my cars, but no fabrication work).  I DON'T consider myself to be a craftsman or especially skilled.  I don't want to spend $200 on supplies just to make this screen enclosure.  any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Loving Car Audio since 1992
psyon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
need suggestions for 7 screen in dash - Last Post -- posted image.
psyon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  

FYI i saw this thread:

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~87279~PN~1

(flushing a remote), and that looks the most like what i'll be doing.  i guess i'll use the bondo

and then sand and paint.  only question i have is what material is he using there?  I need to know

what material to cut to cover this scosche adapter piece and mold the monitor to

tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
psyon wrote:

FYI i saw this thread:

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~87279~PN~1

(flushing a remote), and that looks the most like what i'll be doing.  i guess i'll use the bondo

and then sand and paint.  only question i have is what material is he using there?  I need to know

what material to cut to cover this scosche adapter piece and mold the monitor to

I don't think he's using a material like fiber glass or anything like that, I believe its just applied directly after the epoxy stage. In your situation, I would take the housing for the monitor off of the screen and use the front trim piece to mold in place of what you are going to cut out. Bondo will smooth out the seems, but I would epoxy it into place first... It will make spreading the bondo alot easier... After you have that smoothed out, painted and ready to install, just put the monitor back together and there ya go... It will try your patients so just take your time and when all else fails, hit up the 12volt...

...don't crush the weasel...
dbcat111 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2007 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
all you need is a little body filler bondo or anything other abs plastic is probably what that dash kit ins made out off acetone which is about $3 a quart at home depot i usually use the hot glue to hold things in place.I make some shaving out of the abs i used i paddle bit to make them and mix with the acetone to make a sluge i used abs pieces to cover the big gaps and apply the sluge to fill the rest let it dry and used filler to smooth it out and paint it here are some things I did                                                                                    need suggestions for 7 screen in dash - Last Post -- posted image.                                                                       After                                                                                                                                                                                                                   need suggestions for 7 screen in dash - Last Post -- posted image.                                            need suggestions for 7 screen in dash - Last Post -- posted image.                                         before                                                                                                                                                                                          need suggestions for 7 screen in dash - Last Post -- posted image.                                       need suggestions for 7 screen in dash - Last Post -- posted image.                                       after                                                                                                                                                                                                             need suggestions for 7 screen in dash - Last Post -- posted image.                   need suggestions for 7 screen in dash - Last Post -- posted image.                                          need suggestions for 7 screen in dash - Last Post -- posted image.                                                      perfect everytime                                                                                                                                                          
dbcat

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic