icon

dual 18 common or single

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2007 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
which would be best for two 18" ma audio subs. they say that for a vented box that it should be 5cu/ft, it doesnt tell optimum tuning frequency so idk what to tune 18's to. alright then first question is it best to have each in a seperate chamber or open and one port. all of the cars i see have common chamber and one big port, but i have always used seperate chambers and two ports. i cannot really go bigger then 6 cu/ft without having no back seats so what would you all recomend for box size and then tuning frequency? thanks alot
two 12" cadence TXW-12S, cadence TXA-3002 amplifier, 1990 toyota celica system 10 speakers
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2007 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
Do the math... Each woofer wants 5 cubes. 5 X 2 = 10. Can you fit 10 cubic feet into a 6 cubic foot space? If you can't go bigger than 6 cubic feet, without losing your back seat, then you can't use two of those woofers. End of story. If you MUST have two woofers, then you HAVE to lose your overall transportation functionality.
Otherwise, two chambers, with a port each will be far desirable to one large chamber, primarily due to the extra resistance to wall flex.
RE: YOUR SIG LINE
As far as suggestions, as requested in your sig, you are all over the place with overall results with all those choices. You, my friend, are a basshead, and the TC's are not suitable for bassheads - they are FAR closer to the SQ end of the spectrum.
1: The TC-1000's will be your finest overall SQ, and I guarantee that while still loud, it'll be eclipsed by the remainder of your choices.
2: The TC-3000 will provide more output but still VERY MUCH an SQ setup, if done correctly.
3: The Kickers (blech...) won't do SQ at all as far as I am concerned, nor will the Jokefords, but those will be your loudest choices, with the 4 Jokeford Fosbreak being the loudest of all, by virtue of the most radiating area.
There is MY input, (and generalizations, to be sure) now you choose what you want to do.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jonathancullen 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2007 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  

lol that sig is from a long time ago. and i really like the tc-1000, i installed two of them in a 3cu/ft per chamber tuned to about 32hz in my friends ranger and it pounds like crazy, and it is soooo clean. and now tc is expensive and changed thier line. (im not happy about this)

now i would never buy kicker because i like some sq and i know they suck, plus everyone around me has kicker, the same with the rockfords, ive had em and they where alright but i can get better.

for the 18's again couldnt you use stronger internal bracing and maybe two layers of 3/4" mdf on the top to help reduce the flex? im not trying to be anoying im just trying to learn more. thanks alot

two 12" cadence TXW-12S, cadence TXA-3002 amplifier, 1990 toyota celica system 10 speakers
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2007 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
You can get 1 1/8" MDF at your local harware stores, I used that to build my box for my TC-3000, I would look into that instead of having to double layer the 3/4" MDF
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
jonathancullen 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2007 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

thanks i guess ive never really seen anything bigger then 1".  and yes haemphyst i am a basshead, but i also like to turn it down sometimes and listen to music. the 18" i was going to use for comps and that no one from around where i live out in the stix has seen even a 15" let alone an 18" in person. also another thing just because 5cu/ft are recommended that doesnt mean it necessarily needs that amount of space does it? i know it might work better in a single chamber 5cu/ft box tuned to 40hz ( the recommended tuning frequency) but it would still work in a single chamber 6cu/ft box tuned to say 40 hz wouldnt it. (with bracing to help reduce wall flex.)

really the only reason i was looking at these 18's is because i could get them cheap and they are really big. what cheap subwoofer would you recommend to be reliable and loud. ive had rockfords p2's before and they where the loudest in school but i wanted louder. then i set up my friend with two tc-1000 and they are extremely loud compared to the rockfords (of course i know, duh!) i just want loud without breaking the bank, i was also looking at hifonics titan subwoofers because i can get them cheap also, along with rockfords and such.

alright what do you recommend from your experience the subs i should get.

rudydapimp 
Copper - Posts: 390
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2007 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
The Kickers (blech...) won't do SQ at all as far as I am concerned,
DTS results have shown that kicker can be used for SQ. I fully respect your educated opinions, but damn, you are hard on everything that isnt really TC sounds or Alpine pdx.
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2007 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
...or Eclipse. :)
I'm hard on it, because I know what I like. I'm also NOT hard on everything, just stuff I don't care for! LOL
Just that I feel I've been around long enough to know what most products are capable of, whether they are SPL, or SQ, or what-have-you.
I fully appreciate that SOME people have said that Kicker can be used for SQ, but I have never heard it, yet. The biggest issue with an advertiser saying that something ELSE (from another advertiser) sounds "this good", is a little thing called "corporate sponsorship". With all of the systems that I have heard with Kicker, Rockford, Sony, Pioneer... I've never (or at least RARELY) heard a true SQ system, or one that meets my (apparently, to some) very stringent definition of SQ.
For a small idea for you, when I go to the CES, I don't even show up at the convention center, I pretty much spend my entire weekend at the Alexis Park, listening to home audio gear, some of which can total as much as $500,000, in a single room - I've actually seen over $1M in a single display. (Tom Bohlender is a personal friend of mine, I might add...) Now, I am NOT saying that the price tag is what makes it sound good, NOR am I saying the accessories do it, either, but I AM saying that most of the products I am listening to, and placing benchmarks on/with are generally regarded as the very highest quality and very best performing and reproducing audio gear on the planet.
Halcro being one of the benchmarks for me, the Revel Salon Studio speakers being in that short list as well.
Anyway... I appreciate your respect for my opinions, but now I think you might understand a little better from where they stem.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2007 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
Ham, we know you have Sony Expload gear somewhere in your garage. Big soundoff in SLO tomorrow?
There is no such thing as free installation!
haemphyst 
Posted: September 07, 2007 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
Not sure how "big" it'll be, but I'll be there. Oh, and what's this thing about Jack and I having to buy you lunch again? dual 18 common or single - Last Post -- posted image.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2007 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  

"By Yourself" car stereo, can I help you?

There is no such thing as free installation!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic