icon

confusing myself about amp ohms?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
luckydawg003 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2007 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I'm looking at my amp's specs and getting confused. The amp is 370wX2ch.@2 ohm.   OR 310WX2ch.@4 ohm. OR 740W rms bridged. I had two kicker cvr dvc 2 ohm subs, but just sent them back to kicker for the dvc 4 ohms. Now to get the 370 watts. I can run each sub to 2 ohms, 1 for each channel with a total of 4 ohms at the amp. Now is that right or am I messing it up and now only getting the 310 watts? Sorry I know this is retarded lol.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2007 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
One DVC woofer at 4 ohms, wired in parallel will yield 2 ohms, and your amplifier will make 370 watts per channel, with one woofer wired to each channel.
However, you are making this FAR more difficult on yourself than you need to. The 60 watts in power difference will be about .5dB difference in total output, while at the SAME TIME increasing distortion and wasting heat AND reducing your efficiency and damping factor (by one half - a significant amount). So basically, you just spent money on freight that you didn't have to spend, just to shorten the life of your amplifier, AND lower the SQ of the system.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 11, 2007 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  

Here's where you're getting confused, luckydawg003: 

"I can run each sub to 2 ohms, 1 for each channel with a total of 4 ohms at the amp."

The impedance load is per channel, not total.  So if your amp sees 2 ohms on each channel it is loaded at 2 ohms.

If I recall your earlier post, you wanted to run your amp at 2 ohms (same as 4 ohms bridged) to get max power for your subs.  To do that, you exchanged the DVC 2's for DVC 4's.  Now, your DVC 4's will wire  series / parallel to make a 4 ohm impedance...and you can bridge that load across the amp's channels.  According to amp specs, output will be 740 watts, which is 370 watts per sub.

Note that that is the same power output as putting a 2 ohm load onto each channel, separately.  The wiring of the individual subs would be changed to accomplish that, but it's really all the same as far as amp power is concerned.  Personally, I would use the bridged method.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
reference10.0 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2007 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
but wouldnt his amp run alot cooler not bridged. plus he'll get the same sound running two channels as he  would bridging the amp and only using one channel.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic