icon

will to big a fuse cause damage?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aggresivedriver 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2007 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
THIS IS MY QUESTION, THE SECOND PARAGRAPH CONTAINS MORE INFO IF YOU NEED IT: The amplifier ended up smokeing. Now im still trying to figure out what could have caused this. My question is i think i used to big a size of a fuse, i used a 60 amp fuse, because i figured the higher i go, the more safe itd be. Was i wrong? Is going with to big a size fuse bad? Please let me know, i dont want to make the same mistake twice!!
Okay, so today i did an install in my car, and nothing worked right, and ended up frying the amp. The whole night I was SURE something was faulty with the amp, and thats why the install didnt work correctly. I was installing two 12" cheap subs (those visionik kind) and a visionik amp. The power wire used was 10 gauge, which was the correct power wire size. I was running it off my stock headunit, so i found a switched 12v wire with my DMM and taped into that with the remote turn on wire, i grounded it good, and attached my power wire (with inline fuse) to the battery.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2007 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  

According to the12volt; https://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp 10g can handle up to 60amps. I don't see that as your problem. Did you use a 60amp fuse in the power wire (next to the battery) or in the actual amp?

What kind of vehicle? Were you using the high-level inputs on the amp (tapped off of the rear speaker wires) or did you buy an LOC (line-out convertor) to get the input to the amp? How was the gain set? What is the impedance on each sub (in ohms)? What is the amp model #? Exactly how did you have the subs wired to the amp?

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 24, 2007 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
Visonik stikes again!
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2007 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
"My question is i think i used to big a size of a fuse, i used a 60 amp fuse, because i figured the higher i go, the more safe itd be"
The fuse is to protect the Wire, not the amp. The amplifier should have it's own way of dealing with internal faults. Going larger on a fuse isn't the answer to 95% of problems. Usually is the cause.
You bought a cheap amp that will probably cost more to fix than it's worth.
duoproductionx 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2007 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
60 amp fuse on 10 gauge wth?? 25-30 tops...but yeah sounds like a bad amp.
97 Monte Carlo
CDA-9885, PZI Crunch 5 channel,12in MB Quart Premium.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic