make a box for 2 subs dual sub winisd?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sonofthor 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2007 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

First, just wanted to say this is a great site and a great forum.  Lots of excellent info here.  Now I did try to search but it seems I am the only one that is having a problem figuring this out. I must be more obtuse than the people who are getting errors trying to fill out their driver specifications. 

Anyhow, my problem is this: I'm trying to design a vented (ported)  box for 2 10" subs using winisd.  Now the problems I'm having are twofold:

1. What type of box is the one where each each chamber for each sub is sealed off from the other?  This is the type you use so that in case one sub fails, you won't blow the other sub because of the difference in air pressure and all that.  I'm not sure what that is called in WinISD.

2. With regards to ports and tuning - How does that work in a dual-speaker box?  I figured that I could start with port number 1, enter my values, then choose port number 2, enter the same values, and it would work.  My thinking was, port 1 for chamber 1 for sub 1, and port 2 for the other chamber with the other sub.  But that doesn't seem to be how it works, because when I enter values for port 1, then switch to port 2 and enter the same values, when I switch back to port 1, the value for the length (at least, sometimes diameter too) has changed to something really wacky! what is the deal with this?  How do I properly set up the ports (round in this case) for my dual-speaker box? Or do I have to treat each chamber as a single enclosure and just model it as a single speaker box?

Thanks in advance.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2007 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
If you are designing each speaker in its own chamber, you need to design them as separate one-driver systems and then simply build the enclosure with the two chambers sharing one wall.  re: your comment about port lengths.  Using two ports of the same diameter in a single chamber will cause them both to be longer for the same tuning frequency than using only one port.
Support the12volt.com
sonofthor 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2007 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  

Fair enough, just wanted to make sure.  Thanks for the response!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic