Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rkulp18 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2007 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
Currently Installed
Sony CDX-GT200 Deck
http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-fYXdiEMMdP7/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=158GT200&tp=5685&tab=features_and_specs
Alpine SPS-57C2 Front
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-re0F43MfFOO/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=51900&i=500SPS57C2&c=3&tp=93&tab=features_and_specs
Pioneer TS-A6881R Back
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cIppmdHzCmm/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=130TSA6881&tp=92&tab=features_and_specs
I'm installing a MTX Thunderform behind the seats. I want more upfront bass but my main concern is distortion at high volumes. I'm going to RAAMmat & Ensolite both panels of the doors. Move my alpines to the back, they aren't the best but my back seats cover the rear speakers so you don't get much sound out of them anyways. But where to go from here is my problem.
Should I get a nice set of coaxials or a decent set of components?
Is the distortion coming from a cheap head unit or the speakers?
If distortion is from lack of power, should I replace head unit or install amp?
Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. This is a big purchase for me and I don't wanna love it up by getting the wrong stuff.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 09, 2007 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  

It is more than likely from the head unit.  Head units don't have much clean power, and have very high distortion when turned up very high.  The solution is to get an outboard amplifier to run the speakers.  This will get you good, clean sound as well as the volume you want. 

The next step I would suggest is upgrading the front speakers.  They are the weakest link in any system, and are most directly responsible for the quality of sound your stereo will produce.  Component speakers are generally best, but there are still some really good quality coaxial speakers.  The best way to tell is if the speakers come with a well designed outboard crossover utilizing quality parts like air core inductors and polypropylene capacitors.

jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2007 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
actually i took a look at the h/u and its not going to work with a mids and highs amp, because of only having 1 preout. what i would do is look around for a h/u that you like that has 3 preouts. this will give you the ability to add a mids/highs amp and then finally give you the sound your looking for.
2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 09, 2007 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
The head unit will work just fine with a mids and high amp.  It just means he won't have control over individual volume levels between the fronts, rears, and sub. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic