the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

remote start, manual transmission

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2007 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
I dont recommend doing a non manual trans. designed r/s on a manual trans, but if you do here is a trick that a buddy of mine did that would not allow the vehicle to start if the car was in gear. He took 2 springs and placed them on either side of the shifter (approx. 1/8 inch away). Then solder a wire to each spring, and bring that to the hood pin. Make sure that when you mount the spring, they do not touch any metal b/c it wont work. How it works is that if the shifter is anywhere but neutral, it will provide a metal contact (ground) to one of the springs, which does not allow the r/s to start. However, this will only work if your shifter registers as a ground.
Kenny
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 02, 2007 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

I am not sure of any brand names for the alarms you need, but this is how they work.

When parking your car, before you turn the key off, You must put the car in Neutral, press the remote start button on the remote, then you turn your key off.  The motor will continue to run.  The alarm then watches for the door to open and then to close.  After it sees this happen, it then kills the motor.  As long as the door does not open again, it knows it is safe to start.  If you go to your car to get something out of it you will need to go through the process again. 

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
Offroadzj has the right answer, that or a hall effect switch adjacent to the gear switch, but how do you trust people (I have thought of other words here) to wire those springs correctly and TEST it first when we have to explain why we put diodes into door contacts at least once a week?
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  

Compustar

Astroflex

Ultrastart 

There are more..........

johnshenanigans 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

I use an Ultra start in my manual trans '99 Nissan Frontier. Absolutly no chance of it starting in gear. It must be in reservation mode, which means parking brake must be engaged, transmission in neutral, then press brake pedal, horn honks twice to acknowledge, turn ignition switch off and vehicle stays running (similar to a turbo timer in turbo charged car), then exit vehicle, vehicle engine shuts off when driver door closed . If driver door is opened without first remote starting vehicle, reservation proceedure must be repeated, a safety feature to prevent accidently being bumped into gear. Ultra start for MT requires the following additional  connections, parking brake switch , clutch switch, driver door pin switch and must have tach wire connected to valid source. I would never use a remote start designed for an auto trans in a manual. I have a friend that installed an auto trans in a manual and was accidentally left in gear, when it was started he heard something crash outside his house and found his car bouncing of his landlords fence.

John

Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2007 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
how come some comustar alarms sya for automatic only?
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic