the12volt.com spacer
icon

boa 265b quality?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  

just lookin for a basic remote start /keyless system,  anyone have experience with the BOA 265B  ?  there cheap on ebay and it SAYS up to 500ft range.  i just dont want one like my avital avistart 4200 i installed on my old van, i had to almost walk up to it to start it with the remote

also made by directed. 

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
If your 4200 gave you that poor of a range, there was something wrong. It would not give you the range of a newer SST system but it should still have been pretty good.
The BOA systems are junk in my opinion. They do not have the remotes preprogrammed and programming them is a joke. If you are looking for a system that you can install yourself and retain warranty I would look at the Scytek pieces. There are several vendors online that will stand behind a self install. Most system manufacturers do not warranty a self installed piece.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
really not concerned about the warranty on a $30 remote start,  once u actually get the remote programmed, do they work fine?
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  

how about this then, i had more issues with Boa than with Avital and have done many many more Avitals than Boas.

Twelvoltz 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
7808 wrote:
really not concerned about the warranty on a $30 remote start, once u actually get the remote programmed, do they work fine?
Not really sure how much more I can sum it up than BOA is low end product. Is saving $40 really worth the aggravation of a system that is sub par? Their are many other options out there from companies that stand behind their product if installed by a 'non-professional'. Even the newer bulldog products are better in my opinion than BOA. My preference is DEI made stuff, it is all I install but the BOA systems are just total low end.
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 1:33 AM / IP Logged  

ok.. ya i dont know what was wrong with my avital, ive installed a few alarms mostly compustar but that thing just sucked.  one time i remeber walking up to it pressing the button and it didnt activate till i was almost touching the car, and i tried replacing the battery. maybe it was a defective remote. 

anyways im gona try the boa hopefully it starts and does my locks from 100ft away ill be happy

Twelvoltz 
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  
Good Luck! Keep in mind that to program the remote you can not be in the car you have to be more than 8' away. I do not know exactly why but this is what I had to do on the first one I installed. Spent 45minutes on hold w/support because the remote would not program. Tech recommended standing 8' away, and it worked.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  

I installed Boa 265b systems on both my Moms and Wifes cars, thinking that since it was made by DEI it had to be half way decent.

Neither of them can start their car from inside the house and both cars sit in their respective drive ways.  I recently upgraded my Mom's to a 552T but my wife still has the Boa.

The range is terrible, and EVERY time the car battery dies the remote has to be reprogrammed.  I think DEI came up with a clever programming technique, but it isn't practical in the real world.  To program the remotes the RS brain automatically enters program mode as soon as it is turned on for X amount of seconds.  If you don't program the remote in that time frame you must cycle power to the unit!  For me, this meant unhooking the battery from the car just to teach the unit the remote after my Mom left her headlights on and killed the battery!

Kevin Pierson
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  

well that sounds anoying.   o well i had already BIN'd when i made this post, i have to see for my self sometimes lol

anyways if its to bad to deal with at least the wires will already be ran for easy access to replace it, car alredy had an older alarm so door wires and parking light wires are already there taped off

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

Well, since you know about this issue ahead of time you can plan for it.  If you install a fuse in an easily accessible location, or some other way to cycle power to it then reprogramming the remote isn't too bad.  If I remember correctly, just pulling the ground off isn't enough (DEI likes to ground through the parking light circuit).

Kevin Pierson

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic