the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

focal component speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2007 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
tcss wrote:
Focals are good for heating up grilled cheese sandwiches. Put on some speed metal, hold the bread and cheese between the tweeters, viola!
BWAHAHAHAHAHA
Damn... that's FUNNY!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2007 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
Just don't use that melty cheese or you'll end up introducing drip-distortion. 
Support the12volt.com
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2007 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
Also works well with shrink wrap.
There is no such thing as free installation!
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2007 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
nate3510 wrote:
I have the focal polyglass and I love them.  In my opinion they are the best sounding components on the market.
Gah... Have a seat in MY car. Sure, for an off-the-shelf, mass market set, and if you LIKE that kind of shrill, hot-sounding tweeter, you can't go wrong. Overpriced as all get-out for what you get, I love 'em. NOT!

haemphyst wrote:
Adire 6.8, as a mid-bass, specially modified (by Harmon International - they WERE destined to be mid-range drivers in a home theater center channel that never materialized) Vifa 4 inch carbon fiber/kevlar fiber, and the JL Audio VR series silk dome tweeters, tri-amplified with Alpine PDX series amplifiers, for 1200WRMS, with AltoMobile UCSPros in a three way, 48dB/octave crossover configuration.
No, really, I got CDT's, or Pyramids, I forget which...
Which are you gonna believe?
Yep, I'm a smartass! focal component speakers - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

No offense man, but how many people have the time, money, or knowledge to do that kind of setup??  I know you're a top dog on here and all but some of your posts remind me of a high school kid saying "mines better than yours" and I don't know anyone who really enjoys that.  It's all good being proud but he's not trying for a world class SQ system, he's just looking for an opinion on some speakers.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 12, 2007 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  

I am sure that you will be happy with the Focal's,  Sure they may not be the best speaker out there.  But for the money I think you will be happy with them.  Some of us have to upgrade in steps.  I am sure that they will be better than your present speakers. 

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2007 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
zhalverson wrote:
No offense man, but how many people have the time, money, or knowledge to do that kind of setup??  I know you're a top dog on here and all but some of your posts remind me of a high school kid saying "mines better than yours" and I don't know anyone who really enjoys that.  It's all good being proud but he's not trying for a world class SQ system, he's just looking for an opinion on some speakers.
OK... I suppose I deserved that... I'm proud of what I have achieved in my car, and I do like to brag a bit... I also admitted freely, right within the post, that I am a smartass. I'm about as big a one you'll ever come across, but here are a few things, to answer your questions, and address your comments:
1: Time. EVERYBODY eventually has the time. I took some 5+ years to get where I am now. If I am willing to spend that kind of time, to get the VERY best sound I can, I think everybody should be willing to spend as much time as necessary. I hate waiting, for anything, and I know that we humans are creatures of instant gratification, but we should all be willing to spend the time necessary to get there.
2: Money. My front system actually cost about the same amount as a set of CHEAP Polyglass separates from Focal. 200 for the Adires, 50 for the Vifas (the mods not withstanding, but I didn't PAY for the mods, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time), and 100 for the VR tweeters. These are ALL components well within the reach of (certainly the Polyglass group) most every Joe Public, at $350, retail, and EVERYBODY can have the same sound in their doors as I have. Money SHOULDN'T be an excuse, especially if considering the price of Focal Polyglass.
3: Knowledge. Here's the big one. E-V-E-R-Y-B-O-D-Y has it. Some choose to apply it. Buying any off the shelf system, in my opinion, is a cop-out. It's easy. Just pay the man, and go home with your new toys. There are SO many other raw drivers out there that can and will spank ANYTHING off the shelf, even Focals, Rainbows, CDT's... You name it. FOR LESS MONEY, in many cases! Spending time researching, listening, observing and LEARNING, every step of the way, BEFORE you go with the first toy that such-and-such says is the best thing ever in speakers/amplifiers/etc; I believe you can end up with SO MUCH MORE pride in a job designed, researched, and installed by yourself. I once was green as well (and I am trying NOT to say that in a condescending way, so please don't read it as such). We ALL started in the same place. This website is a WEALTH of information, and there are members here that can answer any and all questions, to any poster, of any skill level.
One last thing, nate3510 was not the opening poster. The OP was answered. nate3510 was voicing his opinion, TO the OP, and I was simply telling him that there are other, better ways to arrive at an end.
nate3510 wrote:
haemphyst wrote:
nate3510 wrote:
I have the focal polyglass and I love them. In my opinion they are the best sounding components on the market.
Gah... Have a seat in MY car. Sure, for an off-the-shelf, mass market set, and if you LIKE that kind of shrill, hot-sounding tweeter, you can't go wrong. Overpriced as all get-out for what you get, I love 'em. NOT!
So what are you using?
He asked, I told him. Granted, I bragged a bit. If you spent the time, money, and knowledge I spent getting to where I am, you would too.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
donpisto 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 2:46 AM / IP Logged  
I've heard a few Focal components and they were pretty good. I didnt have the chance to hear the Utopia Be's but the 165V1's seemed to have great midbass, but the tweeter kind of lacked, didn't seem to get loud. I own Focal 27A subs (Access line) and I'm very surprised by them. They are rated at 250w rms and 500w peak. You'll be surprised when you read this because I was surprised when I saw this....each sub is receiving about 650-700w. I have 3 of em wired at 1.33 ohms on an RF T30001bd and it's taking the power like no problem. I haven't had any problems with them at all. I say Focal makes some stout speakers ;)
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic