icon

noise problem, whine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
timechange2007 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
Bad altenator will cause this, have run in to it also on older ford rangers after changing out the  engine coil with a cheap one from auto parts store.  Also make sure you are running Autolite resistor spark plugs on older vehicles. hope this helps.....
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
Uhhhh, How exactly would resistor spark plugs help alternator whine?
There is no such thing as free installation!
timechange2007 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2007 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
Resistor spark plugs have nothing to do with altenator whine, but are significant in the case engine noise feed back through the electrical system, refer back the the initial question posted.  Person is asking about engine noise with acceleration, not altenator noise. If he knew that already was the problem he would have probably just replaced the altenator. Later
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2007 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
Plug noise is a tick, alternator noise is a WHINE. Replace the alternator? That's where you would go first? If he knew what the problem was why would he be posting here?  Maybe you should reread all of the posts on this thread. Replace the alternator, gimme a break. Later
There is no such thing as free installation!
timechange2007 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2007 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
Word
donpisto 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2007 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
itsmejaytee wrote:
Alright thnx for the advice. i shall look into that and get back to u guys with an update on this forum.
Man i wish i know more about car audio. I buy with a budget and i just compare the price and the stats of the product not knowing that the particular brand is garbage. So in the end i am really loosing more money huh lol damnit.
In the future i want to get a pair of Kicker 06S12L7-2     so what are a few good brand and model amps do you guys suggest?
What you are experiencing is alternator whine. Now, some people say you should run your power wire on one side and the RCA's on the other. I personally, have ran them on the same side and never had a problem with alternator whine. Another thing it can be is the RCA's themselves. Cheap RCA's with a thin protective sleeve can cause the alternator whine. I recommend getting Kicker RCA's off eBay. There are others but personally, I would use Kicker RCA's since that it was my power wire is (i'm anal about matching, but then again I prefer to use my own hand-made RCA's).
It could also be a weak ground. Make sure you have a good ground. Use a DMM, set it to measure resistance and anything .3 and below should be fine, but 0 would be best. Also scrape off any paint and make sure you have direct metal to metal contact. I personally use copper lugs rather than the gold plated, platinum plated, etc ring terminals.
As for what other products to consider besides Kicker, well, it all depends. What are you going for? You want loud as in insanely loud? Do you want something that gets pretty loud and sounds clean and accurate? What is your budget? There are many things to consider. Though I'm a fan of Kicker wiring, that is all I'll stand behind.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic