icon

setting the gain

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
killa101 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
No, i don't need to know how to set the gain....I found this acticle by accident and was wondering how accurate/inaccurate this is. I never heard of any of these things so i was wondering if they were correct. I don't think that it is but maybe i'm wrong. I read some parts of the other articles on the site to see if they were accurate and seemed ok.
http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/gains.htm
fakepete 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
Wow. That is no where close to correct in any way, shape, or form.
Quote from http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/gains.htm
"Its not rocket science to set the gains. Gains are like little volume controls, (I don't know why so many installers are taught that gains are NOT volume controls, when in fact that is EXACTLY what they are!) its super simple to just set them where the level sounds good to you."
kamberkash 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
that article needs to be deleted from the internet!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
I'm thinking about joining, but I'd get banned... }:>
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
That's the preferred method for gain setting if you run a retail business: it's sure to cause your customers to come back once they've blown their speakers.  Just make sure you sell stuff with no warranty for stupidity.  setting the gain - Last Post -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  

I think he was trying to "dumb it down", but it didn't come out quite right.  There are a couple of other articles he's written that I have saved to file...one of which has been referenced by members here for awhile:

http://www.installer.com/tech/conearea.html

http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html

Some of what he says about adjusting gains has an underlying truth.  You want to have a good amount of play in your deck volume knob.  And you do want to be able to get to a point where you feel you may have turned it up too loud.  Those are things that appeal to a human's psyche:  the tactile feel of the volume knob and the aural response to the sound, causing one to feel responsible enough to turn it down a little.

Setting gains (properly, as we prefer and without referencing them to volume knobs) will give the user the same results as he stated in the article.  Setting the deck "high volume" to about 3/4, or better, finding that high volume point using test tone sine waves in order to be more accurate, allows the user the tactile feel of turning the volume knob a good travel length while enjoying his music.

In my car, I'm using the factory deck because it's a PITA Taurus and deck level tops out at the halfway point.  So my amp gains are set with that as the high point.  I miss out on that feel of "turning the knob up".  But a good aftermarket deck will allow that full 3/4 turn, and more.

Then when the user gets it too far past that point, the senses kick in and he listens more closely for signs of distress in the music and the speakers.  It's a natural thing.  The article seems to try to make something that is very technical but really simple into something very simple and not technical at all.  The amp gains are not volume controls and shouldn't be looked at as if they were.  If a user truly were to believe that they were, what's to stop him from going to the amplifier and turning those little volume knobs UP whenever he felt like it?  Setting gains IS science, but some science is a lot of fun.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
killa101 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

I think he was trying to "dumb it down", but it didn't come out quite right. 

That makes some sense...I read some of his other articles and he seems to know what he is talking about. Just the way that he said it came off like he had no clue.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic