icon

need some insite, tool box security

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
standbackimapro 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
Well ive seen some people make an alarm for there tool boxes...
I was thinking of using a Mercury switch or hood pin on the lid, a blinking led on the side, with some sort of speaker
Im not looking for anything, just somthing thats gonna make noise when the lid or somthings opend..
I was trying some ideas out as for power, a 9volt battery blew a standard car alarm LED.. so  i guess id need some sort of resistor..
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
Radio Shack sells a 12 volt flashing LED.  A 9 volt battery will power it just fine. 
standbackimapro 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
But how can i wire somthing up so when the box is opend the light will stop flashing..
Could i use a mercury switch and put it upside down so when the box is closed the circuit is closed, and when its opend the circuit is open and stops the flashing..
I also want to incorporate a siren or somthing of some sort
standbackimapro 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  

like using somthing like a smoke detector interals as the alarm and what not, but im not sure how to wire it up so when the tool box  lid is opend the alarm will go off

offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
Run a 9v battery as follows:
+: from battery to siren
-:from battery to mercury switch to siren.
I'm not sure how you would incorporate an led, but it would take care of your noise. We did this quite often as a prank on some of our toolboxes around the shop.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
You could do a whole alarm with a small 12V power supply and battery backup if you are truly worried about protecting the contents.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

you could just use a pin switch, batt and some wire. Im just really spitting here, not sure if it would work or well for ur application. Maybe some1 can elaborate on this and make it a better version. check out the diagram. sorry that it looks crappy, its a paint drawing :p

need some insite, tool box security - Last Post -- posted image.,

well what i drew shows the relay control. . When toolbox lid is closed, the led begins to flash because the relay is N/C and siren is not enabled. When the relay switches to N/O because coils energized, continuity between 70 and 30 allows siren to blare or buzz, as the N/C doesnt allow the led to flash. what i recomend is using some sort of power switch so u can disarm the system before opening, like cut the postive from the power source. Im not sure if 9volts will have enough power to energize a relay. Maybe if you use a 12volt power supply; then yes or any battery close to 12v. note: ground the LED and SIREN negative straight to the battery. Ground relay wire to the pin switch, shows ground when open.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
dont forget a diode across the relay terminal 85 86 =D

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic