icon

new battery problem with amplifier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wright1 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2007 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  

I am currently driving an 04 chevy avalanche 1500 Z66. Last Friday I finally had to replace my 4 year old battery.

I have a Kenwood KAC-606 amplifier configured to one channel mode with 300 X 1 max power output (150 X 1 rated power output) to one 10" subwoofer. I replaced my OEM 12V battery rated at 600 CCA with a new Autocraft Titanium 12V rated at 770 CCA. The next day I noticed a popping coming from my sub. When I examined closer I found that the power light on the amp was surging on/off every second or two. I wasn't sure what was wrong so I pulled the fuse on the amp to shut it off because I don't have a toggle switch.

When I replace the fuse, the popping starts again but it seems that when I move the amp around (not screwed to anyhting) to look for a problem with the wiring, the sub sometimes stops popping and the power light on the amp stays on continuously. Then mysteriously it starts "surging" again either immediately or at some variable time.

Any thoughts would be helpful as I have had this setup for several years in three different vehicles with no problems until I replaced the battery in the avalanche. Thanks in advance for any help.

wright
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2007 at 7:02 AM / IP Logged  
When you replaced the battery did you pull the fuse out for amp? Could that have caused a problem with your amp, I am wondering about that, strange....very strange. Did anything else weird happen that you noticed besides the amp popping on and off?
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
wright1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2007 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  
I did not pull the fuse out of the amp until after I started noticing the surge. Everything else is functioning normally. What puzzles me is that if I move the amp around I can get the surge to stop momentarily.
wright
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2007 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
Disconnect the wires at the amp and try to re-secure them.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2007 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
And mount your amp. If you don't have it mounted, you will probably break something like an rca connection, power connection, or something internal.
wright1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2007 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  

I finally got around to checking my connections.

I disconnected everything, took the cover off the amp to see if anything was loose and it looked okay inside. I decided to replace the 30 amp fuse under the hood and the 25 amp at the amplifier just in case. I checked my ground which hasn't been touched since the install and it looked fine. Then i disconnected the wiring at the amp to the sub to see if it was related to that conection (seems very unlikely) and still....the amp seems to be powering on/off about every second or so.

Does anyone think it sounds like the amp is going bad?

Maybe it's coincidence but it all seemed to start when the battery was replaced. One word... frustration.

wright
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2007 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
Your amp has one or more shorted output transistors.
wright1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2007 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
Considering this amp is 8-9 years old, do you think it would be practicle/cost effective to have it looked at and repaired or should I just look for a new amp?
wright

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic