icon

dumb remote turn on lead

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steveskal 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2007 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
I thought my JL Audio 1000/1 amp had signal sensing which I was going to use but apparantly this feature is only on the 500/1, so now I have to figure out another source for this. So my question is this, the remote wire only sends a small 12 Volt signal to switch on the amp, correct? It doesn't draw a whole lot of current so would I be able to just tap off say a cigarette lighter lead and put a toggle switch on it and hook that up to the remote input of the amp?
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2007 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, just fuse the wire at the source, before the switch.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2007 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  
Why not just hook it up to the decks turn-on lead?  Are you hooking it up to a stock deck?  If you do use the cigarette lighter, be sure it switches off with the key.  That way if you accidently leave the toggle switch on, your amp won't drain your battery. 
steveskal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2007 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  

Yes it is being hooked up to a stock deck and from my research even though there is a factory amplifier it does not use a remote turn on lead. It is the Bose system in a 2002 Escalade. Believe me, I would much rather use a radio remote lead that have to rig this up.

Yes I plan on finding a 12 volt that is only on with the car so I don't leave it on, I know how I can be and that would happen at least once a week if I didn't wire it that way.

Question though, why would I have to fuse this wire? The cicuit for the cigarette lighter (if that is what I use) will already be fused?

jrod83 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2007 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  

steveskal wrote:

Question though, why would I have to fuse this wire? The cicuit for the cigarette lighter (if that is what I use) will already be fused?

I dont think GM's cig lighter turns off with the key...if you have day time running lights you might be able to use that for a remote

MECP Certified
I am the loudest and proudest member of the Fighting Aggies Class of '11 WHOOP!
SAW 'EM OFF!
steveskal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2007 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
jrod83 wrote:

steveskal wrote:

I dont think GM's cig lighter turns off with the key...if you have day time running lights you might be able to use that for a remote

I will have to test this out later.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2007 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
The best place to get switched power is at the ignition harness under the drivers dash.  For that vehicle the two accessory wires are brown and orange.  Be sure to test them before hooking them up.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2007 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
steveskal wrote:

It's a matter of safety to fuse all added wiring and may especially be necessary if the gauge of the wire that is added is smaller than that of the main wire it feeds from.  Just a good habit to have, fusing wires.  Use a 1/2 or 1 amp fuse for the turn on, and the wire can be 20 gauge.  These are cheap little fuses and use a cheap little fuse holder.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic