Print Page | Close Window

difference between 2 and 4 ohm subs

Printed From: the12volt.com
Forum Name: Car Audio
Forum Discription: Car Stereos, Amplifiers, Crossovers, Processors, Speakers, Subwoofers, etc.
URL: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=99236
Printed Date: Novemberá27, 2022 at 2:43 AM


Topic: difference between 2 and 4 ohm subs

Posted By: standbackimapro
Subject: difference between 2 and 4 ohm subs
Date Posted: Novemberá21, 2007 at 10:00 PM

Ok im trying to understand the difference between 2 and 4 ohm subs, and why certain amps will blow or wont work with certain subs

 like the MTX te 1501d is a 1 channel mono and says 500 watts at 4 ohms 1000 at 2 and 1500 at 1..
How do u lower the ohms of a sub oand? like i dont understand..

I understand that the higher the ohms the harder it is for current to flow




Replies:

Posted By: DYohn
Date Posted: Novemberá21, 2007 at 10:07 PM
You can't change the impedance of a speaker's voice coil, but you can wire multiple coils together (following Ohm's Law) to create different loadings on an amplifier.  Amplifiers can only handle so low a load because, as you imply, lower ohm loadings will draw more current, and amplifier circuitry can only supply so much current before they overheat and/or fail.

-------------
Support the12volt.com




Posted By: techman93
Date Posted: Novemberá21, 2007 at 10:10 PM
Lowering ohms is by wiring multiple subs on that channel in a parallel wire schematic.
subwoofer wiring

example:
4 subs each with a single 4 ohm voice coil wired so all the positives and negatives are parallel will result in a 1 ohm load.

Example 2:
same number of subs but each has an 8 ohm voice coil. Wired the same will have a 2 ohm load.

-------------
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya




Posted By: standbackimapro
Date Posted: Novemberá22, 2007 at 10:00 AM
You mean like how they have the positive to of the amp to the positive on one sub, the the positive on the one sub over to the positive on another




Posted By: the12volt
Date Posted: Novemberá22, 2007 at 10:10 AM

Yes...

posted_image

posted_image



-------------
posted_image the12volt Ľ Support the12volt.com




Posted By: DYohn
Date Posted: Novemberá22, 2007 at 10:11 AM

standbackimapro wrote:

You mean like how they have the positive to of the amp to the positive on one sub, the the positive on the one sub over to the positive on another

Yea, kinda like that.  That would create parallel wiring.  Don't take this the wrong way but if you are still figuring out series and parallel, you are a long way from ever touching any wires in your car.  You need to buy some books or go take a class in basic electricity, or go apprentice at a good car stereo installation shop (for free) for a while.  Check out the links on the left column of this site, and the excellent basic car audio electronics site.

Your handle "standbackimapro" must not refer to car audio, eh?posted_image



-------------
Support the12volt.com




Posted By: standbackimapro
Date Posted: Novemberá22, 2007 at 3:26 PM

I understand it basically, parralell is where the wires dont connect to each other, like in the pictures you posted..

Series would be like.. the positive on the amp, to the positive on one sub, then the negative of that sub to the positive of another, and so on.. and the final negative would lead back to the negative on the amp..

I understand how that works, im just trying to figure out and understand HOW and WHY You need to do this?

Like can someone give me a GOOD example with like an actual model amp, and actual subs, like and HOW the ohms get knocked down like how 4  4 ohm subs wired in a parrell gets down to 1 ohm?

LIke for instance the Kicker zx1000.1  says 1000 watts at 2 ohms.. and 2 kicker solox 12'  says either 1 or 2 ohm DVC...  how would that have to be wired?





Posted By: i am an idiot
Date Posted: Novemberá22, 2007 at 7:53 PM
As reffered to earlier   https://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm




Posted By: techman93
Date Posted: Novemberá22, 2007 at 9:30 PM
standbackimapro wrote:

I understand it basically, parralell is where the wires dont connect to each other, like in the pictures you posted..

Series would be like.. the positive on the amp, to the positive on one sub, then the negative of that sub to the positive of another, and so on.. and the final negative would lead back to the negative on the amp..

I understand how that works, im just trying to figure out and understand HOW and WHY You need to do this?

Like can someone give me a GOOD example with like an actual model amp, and actual subs, like and HOW the ohms get knocked down like how 4 4 ohm subs wired in a parrell gets down to 1 ohm?

LIke for instance the Kicker zx1000.1 says 1000 watts at 2 ohms.. and 2 kicker solox 12' says either 1 or 2 ohm DVC... how would that have to be wired?



Actually pictures posted above are parallel connections. You may need to pick up a couple books or become an apprentice for free to learn some really basic stuff.

I think that also giving a specific example would need a specific model of product that you are familiar with. I also think the terminology that we have been using with you may be above your current experience level. We need to go slow and write in layman terms.

Example:
Connecting the positives together and the negatives together and hookin' them up to one side of amp will give you more boom boom. If you hook up positive to negative and back to amp less boom boom. posted_image

-------------
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya




Posted By: standbackimapro
Date Posted: Novemberá23, 2007 at 9:53 AM
Yah i said they were parralell, i work at circuit city as an installer, i can install radios and satellite radios and amp subs and everythiong like that, im just trying to understand the technical aspects now




Posted By: Steven Kephart
Date Posted: Novemberá23, 2007 at 10:15 AM
Go over to bcae1.com and start reading.   It will explain all the technical aspects of car audio in laymens terms along with pictures and interactive models. 




Posted By: DYohn
Date Posted: Novemberá23, 2007 at 10:17 AM

standbackimapro wrote:

Yah i said they were parralell, i work at circuit city as an installer, i can install radios and satellite radios and amp subs and everythiong like that, im just trying to understand the technical aspects now

You work as an installer but you don't understand series and parallel wiring?  Wow.  How do you do your job then? 

OK, what exactly about it don't you understand?



-------------
Support the12volt.com




Posted By: zhalverson
Date Posted: Novemberá24, 2007 at 6:16 PM

standbackimapro wrote:

Yah i said they were parralell, i work at circuit city as an installer, i can install radios and satellite radios and amp subs and everythiong like that, im just trying to understand the technical aspects now

That's just plain scary. posted_image





Posted By: ibasspro
Date Posted: Novemberá24, 2007 at 8:19 PM

NO, thats not scary....what is, is the fact I cannot find any1 even with that level to come work here. I got one guy with a violent felony, & another who's phone is disconnected.......neither of them knew what a butt connector was? LOL my boss is gonna send me a stock boy & said I have a month to train him, so he can do RS/W keyless, overheads, & amp & subs.

I laughed at him, shook my head, & walked away.



-------------
used to be loud, used to be fast...now I am married LOL





Print Page | Close Window