Print Page | Close Window

name this tool

Printed From:
Forum Name: Miscellaneous - Off Topic
Forum Discription: Topics that just don't fit anywhere else.
Printed Date: February 27, 2021 at 9:16 AM

Topic: name this tool

Posted By: steezs
Subject: name this tool
Date Posted: January 17, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I once saw a screwdriver, but it's really more like a small pipe, thats pointy and has a handle. This screw driver looking tool is used to poke through grommets and you are able to pass a wire inside of it. I was just wondering, what is the name of this tool and where can i get it?



Posted By: t&t tech
Date Posted: January 17, 2010 at 6:57 PM
Around here it's called a grommet poker! I don't have the proper name for it! But here's a link i dunno if it will work for you!


Posted By: tommy...
Date Posted: January 17, 2010 at 7:05 PM
Wire insertion tool...Install Bay carries them...Can also use some copper pipe and make your own...Every one I ever had drove away in the car...

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!

Posted By: yimke
Date Posted: January 19, 2010 at 10:16 AM
BINGO!! WIT tool for short here posted_image

Posted By: KPierson
Date Posted: January 19, 2010 at 10:41 AM


Typically made by Thexton we commonly referred to them as grommet pokers but the correct name is a wire insertion tool, as mentioned above. 

Kevin Pierson

Posted By: t&t tech
Date Posted: January 19, 2010 at 3:40 PM
Wire insertion tool it is! posted_image


Posted By: forbidden
Date Posted: February 02, 2010 at 12:53 AM
In my area it is also known as a broken fishing rod..... longer, flexible and if you lose it you can always count on the local fishing store to have another broken one. Cut off all the eyes on it and away you go. Naturally decreases in size nicely as well, so much smaller and easier to insert into a grommet as well.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Posted By: nismo542
Date Posted: June 06, 2010 at 1:14 AM
a buddy of mine used one of those and nicked a wire which shorted and fried the ecu  ;(

Posted By: oldspark
Date Posted: June 06, 2010 at 4:23 AM
But they save wax burns.

(If you are removing hair. And their roots. And a bit extra...)

Posted By: tommy...
Date Posted: July 15, 2010 at 5:00 PM
*Should only be used by a professional... ; )

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!

Posted By: ben d.
Date Posted: September 18, 2010 at 9:57 PM

These are made by thexton tools

Part number is Thexton tools 476 can be found on amazon for about 20 bucks.. they are awesome

2008 Dodge Ram 1500
MECP Certified Advanced Installer CEA 191700

Print Page | Close Window