icon

replacing bose door speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bizkit20 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2009 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2009 Sierra crew cab with the bose system. It is stock with 6 disc in dash changer, bose sub woofer, bose amp, bose tweeters, and bose door speakers.  Has anyone just replace their door speakers only and kept the bose amp, sub, head unit and tweeters. I was wondering if this would improve sound quality or not? If so do you have to worry about the new speakers ohms? I just want to improve sound, but do not want to mess up stock radio, amp, etc.   I was thinking that upgrading the door speakers would improve sound.  I do not want a killer system just a upgrade.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2009 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
I am not sure about the speakers in that particular vehicle.  Some bose systems use a 2 ohm speaker setup.  Some even used 1 ohm speakers.  If you replace either of these with a set of 4 ohm speakers they will not be nearly as loud as it was before.  Especially if it were a 1 ohm setup.  I have not seen a 1 ohm setup in quite a few years.  You really need to find out the impedance of your speakers before you try and change them.
bizkit20 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2009 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
Where would I find out the ohm for my vehicle?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2009 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

Some of our hands on guys may be able to tell you, if not you may have to remove a speaker and look on the back of it to see if it is written on there.  Or use an ohm meter.

oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2009 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  
IMO Bose are generally have a very good sound.
Not that there aren't better, but rarely is Bose bad or poor.
Their very small speakers used to be top of the range (ie - pregnant cigarette packet sized).
Finding a cheaper replacement is probably very easy.
Just be wary of reduced quality.
Hopefully someone knows the speaker you have and....
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2009 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
Whatever you do, don't replace the sub unless you build a different enclosure. The factory enclosure with an aftermarket sub is usually not enough airspace, so generally your sound quality goes down.
As for the speakers, same thing check the impedance. I believe they are actually 8 ohm speakers last time I checked, so your power will go up.
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2009 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
Usually newer bose systems have 2 ohm speakers. IN which case you can replace them with some infinity kappas or references. both are around 2 ohms.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
bizkit20 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2009 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

This is what I found out from a 2008 GMC Denali owner.

5.25" - 4 ohms rear doors

6.5" - 2 ohms front doors and sub

I wonder if this would be the same for the 2009 GMC SLT?

bizkit20 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2010 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  

Talked to advisor at crutchfield and he said I should not having a problem replacing just the door speakers.  He recommended the pold audio DB651 6 1/2's.  I just want to improve sound a little over factory sound.  I just do not know if it is worth it to replace the door speakers and there may not be that big of difference.

smgreen20 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2010 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
To say that a 1 ohm speaker will be louder then a 4 ohm speaker is completely false. It's the sensitivity of the speaker that will determine if that would be true or not.
Go to www.denalitrucks.com for all of you Sierra needs/concerns. They will have or find all schematics one would need and there's also a few GM employees there, and I don't mean the laborer type, but the designer type.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic