icon

dvd system for 2011 chevy express

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
curdy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2014 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
Hi everyone, I'm brand new here. My wife and I have 5 children and needed to get a bigger vehicle, so we went with a 2011 Chevy Express 12 passenger van.
We have been unhappy with portable DVD systems in the past due to durability and wanted to look into have an overhead system installed. We stopped by a local pro shop earlier today and they were a bit stumped on what to do. If you are not familiar with this vehicle there are rear climate controls and vents running nearly the width of the van right where we would want to install the screen. I can take some pictures if it would help. I've googled my brain out trying to find pictures of someone else that has had something installed and all I can find are conversions that have all new headliners and rerouted the ventilation as well.
If any of you are aware of some creative ideas on what we could do, it would be very helpful! The installer did say that he usually installs Audiovox systems for around $1100. That seemed high to me. Can anyone fill me in on what these usually cost?
I'm beginning to think I'm better off just getting another portable dual screen system or just 2 separate units and let the older kids watch one thing in the back while the younger ones watch something different up front.
Thanks in advance for your help.
curdy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2014 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
dvd system for 2011 chevy express -- posted image.
dvd system for 2011 chevy express -- posted image.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2014 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
There are probably not alot of these vans with aftermarket video in them. The factory uses dual screens, but those ones are rare. It should be possible to install one screen between the two front seats just behind or over the existing dome light. You will pay more for this install than some others because of the added difficulty. An adapter trim ring may be required to match the contours of the roof. It's custom work. You may also want to install a second screen further back in the roof for the third row seats. It could be a slave screen running off the front, or a stand alone unit with it's own DVD. You need to make sure dual units will work with each other if they are to be independent. Things to consider are dual infra red audio channels for 2 separate DVD players, screen size. Audio/ video inputs and outputs for connecting them. Some units are made for this and some aren't. Find a shop that knows about doing dual overheads to save costly mistakes. Going the portable route will be cheaper and they can be used anywhere. They do however need either a good battery or have the ability to run off the vehicles 12 volt supply. You get what you pay for. The installed version is a lot more time and money so figure out what it is worth to you. I have done many dual overheads, and they usually cost over $1500.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic