icon

2000 camry r/s w/ factory security

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hinge817 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2015 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
Hello Forum. im looking for some guidance for my 2000 camry. im installing a remote start unit and have found most of the wires I need to use. this car has a factory installed security system in it (remote lock/unlock/panic, along with an auto lock which I can program to turn off) that being said, do I need to worry about hooking up the keysense wire to the alarm or will the RS unit disable the factory security system once RS has been activated? the car does not have RF keys so its not an issue to use a transponder. should I hook up the RS as stand alone system or try to find the wire for ignition out from the RS unit to tell factory system that the car is running so it doesn't sense that and kill the engine. thanks in advance
hinge817 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2015 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
got the avital installed today finally. this car has the dealer installed VIP RS3200 add on security system. having some issues. the car if unlocked via Toyota key will RS just fine. if the system is armed and use the RS keyfob to initiate RS then will sound alarm first then still RS. I have factory disarm wire hooked to keysense. also if I RS and put the Toyota key in the ignition and turn to run it works just fine. if I use the key to turn the car off it just keeps running and have to use the RS keyfob to turn engine off. im stumped. car starts, locks/unlocks just fine with Toyota keys and keyfobs. am I missing something? I do need to fix the brake wire as it will not turn off RS when pressing the brake pedal. any help would be appreciated, thanks.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2015 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
I have a VSC3200 on my desk, and have studied its installation instructions. I know how it works. It's actually a DEI product. Mine is in a GM box, with a GM part number. Kind of novel, but I digress....
Which Avital model are you installing? You left that out.
YES fix the brake input. That's why the key doesn't shut
RS off, because the brake didn't cause key take-over.
The 3200 Alarm is probably being triggered during a RS because it sees 12volts on the yellow wire IGN input. Many RS have an output for the alarm system IGN input that goes to 0Volts during RS, so the alarm isn't triggered if armed. See if your RS has this output. Avital 4003, 4103, 4113, will also be a yellow wire on the 8-10 pin small wire harness. Connect the two module's yellows to each other, with no other connection to the car.
That should get you started. Pun intended, haha.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 17, 2015 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
The keysense wire needs a steady ground during remote start, not just a single quick pulse before starting.
The goal is to duplicate the way the car would work without the remote start: Insert key, turn key to Start, engine starts, alarm is off.
So, as Dave P. said, you didn't mention what Avital model you installed. But what's necessary is to connect a ground-when-running output from the remote starter, to the keysense wire in the car. Avital usually labels this wire "status," and it's usually blue/white or blue.
So, connecting gwr to keysense should handle disarm for remote starting.
Next, you'll have to do some experimenting. (You might want to keep the driver's window open for easier testing.)
Ignoring the Toyota VIP remote control, close all of the car's entry points, and lock the doors with the key in the outside keyhole in the driver's door. Does the VIP alarm arm?
Secondly, unlock the driver's door using the key. Does the VIP disarm?
If the answers to both above are "yes," you can use the Avital's lock/unlock outputs to the key-cylinder lock/unlock wires in the car, and have full control of the VIP alarm from the Avital remotes.
If you cannot control the VIP from the keyhole in the door, there's not really any easy way to control it from the Avital either.
hinge817 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2015 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
cool, thanks for the replies. i'm installing an avital 4113lx. I think between quitting for one day and starting the next, I missed the brake wire connection so that's my first task. I used the factory disarm LTGRN/BLK wire to BL/BK keysense. the avital does have a YLW ignition out and would like to use that to tell rs3200 that car is started. honestly thinking about ripping the rs3200 out to save headaches. I will use the orange to the keysense instead as its labeled ground when locked, or should I use the BL/WH status wire that also can run the rear defrost for keysense? I really appreciate all your help. i will do the key in door test shortly and report back. on a side note, i believe i should use the solid blue unlock and solid light green for lock as they are acting weird to. thanks again.
davep. 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2015 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
Fix the brake input.
Connect the 4113 yellow wire to the 3200 yellow wire.
Try a Remote Start with the 3200 armed. The yellow wire thing should fix the trigger during RS. If it does, you're done. Forget about key-sense.
I highly doubt the 3200 cares about the key sense wire state. The 3200 does not use key-sense as an input for arming / disarming. It uses signals from the lock motors themselves. Lock with the factory remote, it arms, unlock with the factory remote, it disarms. There are connections to the 3200 that prevent using the inside power lock buttons to disarm the 3200. So only the remote can disarm the 3200. But the connections don't use key-sense.
I believe the 4113 is the 1-button remote. The orange Ground When Running does not function on the 1-button unit. So you'll have to use the blue Status output from the small 4-pin "satellite" connector if you really need to ground the key-sense when Remote Started. But I doubt you do.
hinge817 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2015 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
thanks, exactly the info I was looking for, I appreciate it immensely!
hinge817 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2015 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
ok so here is where im at now. I finally got a chance to hook up the brake light wire and it now works as it should. I chased the harness of the RS3200 to behind the radio somewhere and don't have it in me right now to find the yellow wire. the RS works like it should if I use the Toyota keyfob to unlock then lock doors, then promptly activate RS. car will start with doors locked and stay locked until RS keyfob button pressed to unlock. after locking with Toyota keyfob, the alarm will time out for 30 seconds and arm, that's where the problem is in not finding the yellow wire on 3200 brain. in hindsight, I should have gotten the 4103 with 4 button remote to be down to single remote as single remote system wont lock doors...ah well, thanks again for all your help!
davep. 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2015 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
davep. wrote:
The 3200 Alarm is probably being triggered during a RS because it sees 12volts on the yellow wire IGN input.[....]Avital 4113 will also be a yellow wire...Connect the two module's yellows to each other, with no other connection to the car.
^^ That quote is from my first post in this thread 4 days ago. Did you understand it?
```````````````````````````
Can you find the 3200? If so cut the yellow wire and connect it to the 4113's yellow wire. Tape off the end. Who cares where it goes? It doesn't matter.
hinge817 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2015 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
yes I did and I appreciate your help. I also know that the 3200 will disarm with the key cylinder unlock but that defeats the purpose of keeping the car locked while RS. ive done some digging into the RS3200 and have found install instructions as to how the dealer gets the kit and how it connects to the car via the harness and jumpers. I haven't however found any wiring diagrams for the 3200 and I haven't gotten into digging into the dash to find the brain and connector/s. from what ive seen, It gets its power from the key solenoid and its harness as there is a jumper that connects the factory clip and jumper to the key cylinder. I also noticed that my radio and clock needed to be reset when I unplugged that jumper. I did not disconnect the battery at all (I know I should but its a PITA for the comp to relearn fuel stuff...etc, ill take the risk)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic