icon

jeep gc viper 4806v not cranking

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tigerhawk6 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2015 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
I've installed a Viper 4806V with idatalink ADS-AL ca within my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Units connected via data mode. Door locks work and remote start activates but does not crank the engine. I followed the idatalink type 1 install with vehicle wiring chart from diretechs.com for the Jeep.
I've reset/reprogrammed the idatalink a couple times and the Viper is set to Virtual Tach.
If I put the key in the ignition it will not start but if I turn the key to the on position it will start.
Anyone have some other things I can check/test?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2015 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

Sound like you are missing an ignition wire.  Here is a link to a Pictorial on your Jeep :

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=137527

Double check and verify that you have all the Vipers +12V input wires ( Red, Red, RED / White, RED / Black ) connected to a

+12V constant source.

Soldering is fun!
tigerhawk6 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2015 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
Should they all be to constant +12V? I have Red, Red hooked to Red constant +12V on ignition harness and RED / Black hooked to pink/black in ignition harness.
I didn't think I need RED / white hooked up as I don't have a second ignition and am not hooking up any other accessories.
tigerhawk6 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2015 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the tip. Connecting all four to constant +12V got me further.
It will now crank but it doesn't actually start.
I changed the cranking time a couple times. Once it was at 4 seconds it would start for about a second and then shut off. It wouldn't start until the dash lit up. Just after the dash lit up it shut down. This is weird!!!
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2015 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  

Hold the key up to the ignition switch and see if it starts.

Did you program the ADS AL-CA with the DBI AL(DL) CH6 firmware?

Did you set the Installation Mode to Data ( one blink ) and lock it in?

Did the ADS AL-CA program as per the install guide?

And why didn't you connect the Jeeps' ACC2 wire to the Vipers Pink/White and make the programming change to ACC2?  It's there, it's free and it's only one more connection.   jeep gc viper 4806v not cranking -- posted image.

Soldering is fun!
tigerhawk6 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2015 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
Holding the key up ignition works.
Programmed with CH6 firmware at an authorized dealer.
Install mode is Data and confirmed on idatalink device.
Didn't know about the ACC2 wire. From what I read and the dealer told me it wasn't needed.
Once I hooked up Pink/White wire it all seems to work now!!
Now to solder all the connections and button it all up.
Thanks a ton for your help!!
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 17, 2015 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
On the 1999-2004 Grand Cherokee, my experience is the following:
If there are no OEM heated seats, I never hook up the second accessory wire. That way, the radio stays quiet during remote start.
On the other hand, if there are OEM heated seats, other installers have told me that the second accessory must be powered, and that it must be powered as an accessory---if the installer leaves it set as Ignition 2 in the remote starter's programming, the heated seats won't work during remote start.
I never did get to test out this theory by leaving the wire unpowered. When I did more of these cars when they were new, it was often for a car dealer I didn't go to often, so I just did it the way the usual installer for that dealer did it.
tigerhawk6 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2015 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
I have the very base model, including a cassette tape stereo) so the only accessory I could run is the rear defrost, which I could hook up. I'm just happy it is working right now.
The only thing I don't like is how long it takes to start. Is it normal to have to change the cranking time to 3-4 seconds?
kreg357 
Posted: January 17, 2015 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
The ADS AL-CA bypass module supplies a Tach signal to the Viper via D2D.  Try setting the Viper to Engine Checking = Tach and do a Tach Learn.  See if that helps.
Soldering is fun!
tigerhawk6 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2015 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
I'll give that a shot and report back.
It's weird though as the car starts cranking but doesn't start until the dashboard cluster lights up. It takes the dashboard almost 3 seconds to light up though and then it starts right away.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic