icon

1998 Dodge Durango, New radio install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jbuch 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2004 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  

I just bought a 1998 Dodge Durango that had the factory radio w/ casette player.  It worked perfectly.  I wanted to replace it with a factory radio w/ casettee and CD.  I just bought one off of Ebay (Chrysler Part #P04858517).  I installed it and everything worked perfectly except that when I turn the vehicle off and then back on the clock resets to 12:00.  I also noticed that when the vehicle was turned off that I couldn't push in the button to make the clock show up briefly.  The factory radio w/ only casette didn't have any problem keeping the clock correct.  Any ideas?  I don't know if I have a wiring problem or a problem with the radio.  Would it be possible for the radio to have a problem like this?  It sounds like a wiring problem to me but I don't know how the original radio could work correctly.  Also, it appears that there is no grounding cable attached.  Could this cause a problem?  I've searched this site extensively and couldn't find the answer to the following couple questions.  What is the small white connector for on the back of chrysler factory radios?  My radio connects to the Durango with the black and grey connectors but I have no idea about the small white one.  Also is there anything that should be done with the Amp connector that is attached to the wiring harness coming out of the Durango?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jamie

jbuch 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
Anybody have any ideas?
dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
ok, does your durango have steering wheel controls? the problem with your clock and presets is that your memory constant wire is not making it toward your radio. is the radio for your year truck? does your preset radio stations disappear when shut off and on?
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys
stereofreak 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like a memory wire,turn the truck off and check for a wire that is still hot (12v ).that wire is suppose to be connected to your yellow wire (on most aftermarket stereos).
if i can't make it sound good,then it is just a piece of crap anyway
jbuch 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
The Durango does not have steering wheel controls.  I checked a few websites and the radio that I bought should work for my year.  I'm starting to think the problem is with the radio.  I used a multimeter to test and make sure that I'm getting power from the constant voltage wire and I am.  The strange thing is that the radio presets seem to stay but the clock resets every time I start the vehicle.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
I'll bet it's the deck at fault, too.  The station presets and clock would both be affected by the unswitched source.  This is pretty much the same deck you had before except for the CD, so the harness was the same, I would guess?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jbuch 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help.  I'm going to send the deck back and get another one and hopefully that will do the trick.  I took the deck out and tried it in my wife's 2000 Grand Caravan and it exhibited the same behavior so I'm pretty confident it's the deck that's at fault.
dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
i agree. its the radio.
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic