icon

General Sub Firing ? Technical

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

OK so I've been into car audio for a couple years and of course know that sub firing can make a huge impact on your sound.  I know that in a car you want the box firing towards the back of the trunk usually, or in the back corners, and I know it sounds louder that way, but I don't know why.  I've heard and read a thousand people saying its better that way, but why?  I really want to understand why this is. 

I only have one theory why... I've heard that a bass not takes something like 20 feet to fully unfold, so is the extra distance before the soundwave gets to you what does it? 

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

In a very basic nutshell, you are correct. 

A 50Hz soundwave is ~22.5 feet long (at 20 degrees C or 72 F.  Sound wavelength in air changes with ambient temperature.)  This means there are 22.5 feet of physical distance between the peaks of any sound wave at this frequency.  So in order to "hear" the peak of the wave, and thus experience the max SPL, you must be exactly 22.5 feet from the radiating surface.  By "bouncing" the lower wavelengths off the back of your trunk before they can get to your ears you increase the effective distance between yourself and the woofer cone. 

Support the12volt.com
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks, that helps a lot.  If anyone would like to go into further detail, I really do enjoy getting as technical as I can when learning things, thats just the way I learn.  Thanks for the help.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html is an interesting read that's been posted on here a few times.  It takes front and rear sound wave cancellation into account when positioning the subwoofer.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
spl-Hz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  

While were on this subject. Im in the process of building an enclosure for my personal car that has the woofer firing into the rear seat and ported through the rear deck, I havent tried this approach before and was wondering what if any affect this would have on sound. Woofer is MTX 9500 12" recieving 2000 watt's rms. The box is 1.97 cu ft  tuned at 44Hz the peak SPL on the vehicle is 55-56 Hz. Previous box was a monster from hell 5.6 cu ft with a 12x4x10 slot port rear firing at the trunk. Best score new term-lab miced at 145. Any thougts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Yes I am going to  upload pic's when the project is completed. Almost step by step photo's.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2005 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
spl-Hz, right off the top of my head I think you lose the gain you would get from the trunk cavity.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic