icon

How to Choose an Amplifier.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
weedfan 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2006 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
so if i got a 4 channel 2000watt amp  and i had 2 800 watt subs , would that work? can i use more subs?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2006 at 4:04 AM / IP Logged  
j0ne wrote:

Very good info, its odd, i see alot of crappy amps being sold for way too much, nothing new, however, Profile seems to make good quality stuff for as cheap as it gets. I run the CL800 for my sub. $100.01 shipped. Signal / Noise Ratio- >105db      Total Harmonic Distortion->0.05% Bridged RMS at 4 ohms- 600 watts    and 2 30 amp Fuses.     Any one see anything really wrong with theese amps? I am really impressed with them, and am about to recomend them in my next amature install.

No, I have seen decent results using Profile amps as well. Their efficiency is a bit optimistic on that amp. I get 69.4% efficiency. I would say a little bit of derating is in order, say closer to 500 to 520 watts on an RMS basis.
weedfan wrote:
so if i got a 4 channel 2000watt amp and i had 2 800 watt subs , would that work? can i use more subs?
It would really depend on the hardware... What amp? What woofers? Sealed, vented, bandpass, TL? We'll need TONS more info than that.
Generally speaking though, you can run ANY amplifier on ANY (number of) woofer(s), so long as power handling is not exceeded (read: PROPER level matchings), and the amp is not overloaded.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
weedfan 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2006 at 5:01 AM / IP Logged  
uhh... let me see . pyle driver 4 channel ,2000watt plad413 amp,  two 10" 800watt pioneer ts-w256c subs. sealed i guess..thats all i know right now . im knew 2 all this stuff.
duoproductionx 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2006 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
always remember the peak power means nothing i went to a large sale advertising "1000w amplifiers for 100 bucks!"
they were pyramid giant ass looking things, no RMS or any actual specs arround the thing, had to get a guy to open the box to find out that this "1000w amp" was pushing 20w RMS on 2 channels, funny consittering my 'lesser amp' from walmart to push my 5.25s and 6x9s is a 4 channel amp with 50rms on EACH channel. so remember children, RMS, love peak power!
97 Monte Carlo
CDA-9885, PZI Crunch 5 channel,12in MB Quart Premium.
weedfan 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2006 at 6:47 AM / IP Logged  
so u sayin that amp aint 2000watts?
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  

Hae, you know I love you... Wow, its been many months and I come back to see this wickedly nice read. Thanks for making time at work actually informative! Anyways... Very wonderful read and you certainly deserve the certification thing under your name(cool as heck idea).

And he was saying simply that your amp may not be capable of its listed power. Just try and find a RMS rating number for it. If there isn't one of those available than one of the guys can explain a better way to try and figure it out. I just wouldn't rely on it, my personal opinion though.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  

weedfan wrote:
so u sayin that amp aint 2000watts?

Yes, that's exactly what he's saying.  What kind of fuses are in that amp?

Master Asylum wrote:
Hae, you know I love you... Wow, its been many months and I come back to see this wickedly nice read

Welcome back!

Support the12volt.com
weedfan 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
dont know ... it dont say.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2006 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
FYI, the rating on the Pyle PLAD413 is 200 watts X 4 channels @ 4-ohms.  It appears to have 2 20-amp fuses, so the actual usable capability is probably more like to 50 watts per channel.  There is no way in the world that amp can produce 2000 watts, period.
Support the12volt.com
weedfan 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2006 at 3:48 AM / IP Logged  
dam. that sux. thats what i wanted to get for sure. so what would u suggest i should get to power 2 10" subs pioneer ts-w256c 800watts?
Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic