the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Amp suggestion for 2 Eclipse SW9102's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bertokamus 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2006 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  

Well, based on the recommendations of both Rob and Dave, supplemented with my own research over the last 24 hrs (give or take), I've ordered an Eclipse DA7232.  I cannot possibly thank you guys enough- it was EXACTLY the kind of fit I was looking for.

As if it weren't enough that it's a matching brand (BIG plus for my personal pref), it's a single amp that'll put out an excess of what I need (BONUS), and what more could a guy ask for than this: http://www.eclipse-web.com/sa3way/recommended.html

Without actually checking out that link, the nutshell is that in a hypothetical setup, Eclipse themselves recommend the pairing of dual 9102's with a single DA7232.  Not that I'm a *total* consumer whore, but hey- that's enough for me!  Since it's a couple years old, I never would have picked up on the trail of the DA7232 without the guidance of Rob and Dave, so again- BIG thanks to you guys!  Good call, and good lookin' out for a n00b!

(Oh, and if anyone felt like throwing together a wiring diagram of how I should set these 9102's up with this amp so I'm prepared in advance as opposed to smoking hardware once the amp gets here, it'd be colossally appreciated...  Would it be the Option 2 setup deemed "series/parallel" with the voice coils wired in series and the speakers wired in parallel to produce a total 4 ohm load, according to the12volt.com's calculator?) 

Amp suggestion for 2 Eclipse SW9102's - Page 2 -- posted image.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2006 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  

Nope. This amp is actually two amps in one chassis, a dual mono amp if you will. Each channel is stable to two ohms so you will be wiring the subs in parallel and then one sub to each channel. Wire each sub like this.

Option 1 (parallel) = 2 ohm load
Voice coils wired in parallel
Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 2 or 1 ohm mono

Amp suggestion for 2 Eclipse SW9102's - Page 2 -- posted image.

Now, if you don't want a ticket from the fashion police at the same time, dig around for a Eclipse PA5422 4 channel amp to match up with that surfboard that you are going to be installing. It is rated at 85w x 4 and is a kick *** amplifier as well.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bertokamus 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2006 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  

Awesome- Rob, you're the man.  Big thanks again, as usual!  That'll make the install so much easier and make me so much more confident I'm not about to smoke a couple grand in audio equipment.

If I may pick your brain some more (at your convenience)- what's your opinion on the Alpine V12 MRV-F401?  I've got one sitting here I once had hooked to my front door 5.25's (and dash) and my rear 6x9's in my GTI, where I originally employed my Beta Digital 300's on a pair of Kappa Perfect 10.1's...  Specs I have on this V12 from an old eBay auction claim it's 120W x 4 (RMS) into 4 ohms.  (I've got a pile of other specs here on it, but I figured you could probably hunt them up if it matters, or I can throw 'em out in another post if you like).

The project vehicle now, just FYI, is my 1986 GMC Jimmy which has had a $12,000 facelift and restoration in the last few months, not counting what I'm stacking into the stereo at the moment, and about to stack into a reputable security system very very soon.  (That's another post, here: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=81783&PN=1)

Now- this V12 did freakin' great pushing the door/dash and hat shelf speakers in my former GTI, and I was hoping to put it on a pair of Infinity 32.5cf (3.5") in the dash of the Jimmy along with a pair of Infinity 693.1i (6"x9") which will be going in a hatshelf I'm building in the back to hide my Eclipse equipment.  (See, see, brand pairing was important to me back then, too!  I was running Infinity 5.25's, 6x9's, 10's, and amps!)

CURVEBALL: For an added calculation (you've been an omnipitent guru to this point, so why not milk it... lol) I'm also planning on adding an aftermarket "highliner" to the ceiling of the cab in my GMC Jimmy.  It has 2 pairs of 4" (likely garbage) speakers that I know very little about at this point.  The highliner can be seen here: http://lmctruck.com/icatalog/bzc/0086.html  I presume I'll be replacing the junk speakers that come in it, but I'm reluctant to order replacements now until I'm certain what I purchase will fit properly (unless by some grace of stereo God you have a suggestion already at this point... lol... more 32.5cf's?).  So, in knowing just about nothing about this highliner, have you got any suggestions on how I should work it into the system?  I was assuming I'd hook the 4 highliner speakers into the S35's in the dash somehow to incorporate them into the front stage, but I'm more than receptive to other suggestions/corrections/constructive criticism you or anyone might have...

bertokamus 
Posted: August 20, 2006 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  

On an off-note-

I originally posted this same thread over at eCoustics.com, unaware of which would generate the most response...  In any case, that particular thread has spurned an interesting debate-

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/259910.html

Allegedly, these Eclipse SW9102's, the Titanium 10" DVC subs, may actually be rated at 750W RMS per voice coil as opposed to 750W RMS per speaker.  I don't really have any input on this other than the limited amount of research I've conducted on Eclipse's site, which leads me to believe it's 750W per sub, but "eh," who knows.

Anyone heard of Eclipse Ti's being rated per Voice Coil as opposed to being rated per speaker?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2006 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
OK. The Ti's are rated 750 watts. They will take more than that, I have heard it from the horse's mouth. At the CES, the year they came out, I spoke with two of the engineers at the CES booth (and at different times, I might add, not together), and the Ti 12s are tested to DESTRUCTION at 3000 watts. That's 1500 watts per coil, and even at that power level, it is an hour-plus long process.
As an example, I run the DA7232 to a single Ti 12, all day long, and it has never blown. That's 1900 watts, friends! 950 watts per voice coil. When I took it to Harman to Klippel it, we were running close to 650 watts per coil - FREE AIR! That's right, no box! Just a clamp frame holding it out there for God and everybody to watch!
The Ti woofers are astounding drivers, and you will have no problem running that amplifier to those woofers - they were literally MADE for each other. Be certain your enclosure is built correctly, (I recommend sealed for those - 1.0 to 1.1 cubic feet NET - very heavily braced) and you'll have no problems with that combo at all.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
bertokamus 
Posted: August 21, 2006 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  

Rock n' roll-

Yeah, I figured that was likely the case- they could HANDLE insanely more, but WERE truly RATED at 750.  ::shrug::  Good enough for me.

The enclosure I've got them in is a ported VTECH box I duplicated from a friend of mine's, who's running a pair of Eclipse 10" DVC's, but not Ti, 3ohm+3ohm (generation prior/under to mine, I think...)  He used to install at HiFiBuys here in ATL and swears up and down you can use just about any pair of 10's in it.

I realize that's a pretty hard to swallow generalization, but all I know is my Eclipses are similar enough to his (IMHO, mind you) that if his have lasted the last 5-6 years in there on a bigass PPI, mine should last fine (2.5 years and counting so far!), and I believe I'm seeing plenty (if not all) potential from the speakers on an SPL spectrum...  I just moved these into my GMC Jimmy from the trunk of my 2000 Volvo S70, and on my Infinity Beta Digital 300's in that car, I could OPEN MY TRUNK LID with the right music.  The hatshelf ports to the passenger compartment, so I know it wasn't straight air pressure blasting it open, but I guess with the assistance of the right amount of vibration... <!>

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic