icon

93 cavalier autopage 750 loses tach?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ZipPhReaK 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 6:37 AM / IP Logged  
Hi I got a question for you guys. I have a 93 cavalier (4 cyl. 2.2L)with an autopage 750 alarm/start combo. I have the tach wire hooked up to the uncommon injector wire on #3 injector. I tested it out and it does increase as rpm increases. The starter does learn the tach signal and the led and lights flash to confirm, and it starts up remotely fine. About 2-3 days later when I goto remote start, the remote starter just holds the starter on, it was an awful grinding noise, and I immediately shut off the remote starter. I tested the tach wire and It is still good, I then relearned the tach signal and It works fine? What is it going on here, maybe I should try another injector or tach wire in another location. Currently I have the remote start on timer mode (1sec crank), but when the car sits especially in this awful cold weather up here in Mass it takes two attempts to remote start it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul Lesogor
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  
use voltage checking mode, it works flawlessly on all of the cars I have used it on.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
ZipPhReaK 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
I probably should've mentioned that I've tried the voltage checking mode, but It still fails when the cars been sitting in the cold overnight. Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Paul Lesogor
jrilla 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
Increase crank time. choose check level Hi or Lo (whichever you do not have selected now).
Sometimes you just need a tune up. New plugs may help.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
jrilla 
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
Is everything soldered? What I find wierd is that I thought the autopage still used a timer even in tach mode. I have never had those units keep running the starter when the tach is not seen. Maybe I have just not had the same problems you are having. Perhaps there is something wrong with the unit.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
ZipPhReaK 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
I did replace my plugs recently like a month ago. I tried both levels for voltage checking and It still decides not to work when it sits in the cold. Im guessing im just gonna have to start it twice for now on since i tried just about everything. Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Paul Lesogor
ZipPhReaK 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
i read somewhere that you should turn on all your accessories radio, heater, etc. and then have the remote starter learn the tach signal? Would that help possibly.
jrilla 
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
its worth a shot. make sure the car is at its lowest idle. If you have a tachometer, watch it and see what lowers the rpm's. The AC will increase them, and the heat and fans will likely be enough to lower them to its minimum.
This guy I installed one for had some wierd problems with his tach, so I switched it to voltage checking and it worked fine. I mention this only because he said he thought the problem was because he had almost 100,000 miles on the original spark plugs.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
securinu 
Silver - Posts: 772
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2003 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
the hi-lo check is for tach mode only , also you may want to try the tach wire instead of injector wire. it is white on back side of engine
ZipPhReaK 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2003 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
hmm white on the backside of the engine, is it easily accessible? think you could be a little more descriptive in the location do you happen to have any pictures of the location of the wire.
thanks,
paul lesogor

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic