icon

Relay and a switch to undo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BumpNGlow 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2003 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, well I found a diagram on how to hook up a few lights in my car to do a cool effect.  I'll try and explain, but it may be kind of hard.

I have a StreetGlow Music Interface Controller that sends out a pulse ground when it hears sound.  This causes the effect that the neons are blinking to the music.  The diagram I found was to create this in a 2 channel effect so that when the Interface hears the sound, 1 channel gets the ground, but when it doesn't hear a sound, the 2nd channel gets the ground. ( http://www.suslow.com/neon/relay.html)

My question is, how can I put a switch in here (anywhere) so that when I hit the switch, it ignores the relay and everything is channel 1 (when there is sound, there is ground -- hehe, I'm a poet).  I would really like to do this with a simple one way switch so it matches the other switches in my switch panel, but I can put any type of switch if its my only option.

Thank you experts!

BumpNGlow 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  

nevermind!  I made myself sit down and think it out.  I figured it out.  1 swtich too :D!

I will just make a switch coming from a ground so that when I flick it all neons get a constant ground thus causing them not to blink to the music.

cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged  
hey, do your neons have a switch that allows you to turn the blinking on/off....or is this what your talking about? I have 2 neons under the dash and they both have a switch on them to blink to the music, or to just stay lit. They also have a dial to adjust when they blink to the music. I was curious to know if there's a way to control both of the neons with one switch (turn dial) on the dash.
BumpNGlow 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

cpgoose wrote:
hey, do your neons have a switch that allows you to turn the blinking on/off....or is this what your talking about? I have 2 neons under the dash and they both have a switch on them to blink to the music, or to just stay lit. They also have a dial to adjust when they blink to the music. I was curious to know if there's a way to control both of the neons with one switch (turn dial) on the dash.

http://www.streetglow.com/site/auto6.htm

Music Interface by StreetGlow is what I have.  It works awesome!

And there is a way to open up your neons and hooking up both to just one dial but I don't recommend you do it unless you are willing to sacrifice them to the experiment gods. :D!

djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
well the easiest way to do it is simple your relay has to have power right . so as long as the first configuration for normal on the lights is set up between pin87a and pin 30 if you put a small toggle on the possitive wire going to relay it will shut off relay and then leaving it at normal operation.,
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
MCubed45 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2003 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
depending on the relay, i would think the clicking would get irritating...  but i guess it'd depend on how loud the music is too.  i have that unit and it's pretty cool..  is the limit on the output really 6 amps like it says on that other site?  i never really looked into how much it could handle.  i've got one neon and a bunch've LED's tapped into it and it's pretty nice.  6amps is kinda lot of current for lights actually.  light's dont usually draw that much...
BumpNGlow 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2003 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  

its rated for 16 neon tubes... I figure they estimated safe.  If you are worried about adding too many lights just use a relay :D!

MCubed45 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2003 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
yea i know it says 16 tubes on the box, but i'm using a bunch've LED's instead.  *shrugs* i doubt the LED's draw more than the tubes anyways.  but then i might add an underbody kit later so that's a couple more tubes.
BumpNGlow 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2003 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  

LEDs drain lots less than a tube, and if you want to hook a ub up to the MI, the trick is to just run the ground from the UB to the MI.  Put the power wire on a seperate switch so you can control if its on or not completely seperate from the MI.

www.cmeglow.com is run by a friend of mine and he has the diagrams you'd want to see for that.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic