icon

how safe is the viper 5901 in a manual?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ssbowtie1 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
I'm winding down on my 5901 installation and I've started thinking about it a bit more. My initial reason for installation was because it seemed so manual friendly that there was really no way to have an accident if you follow the manual mode procedure.
Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but now I'm wondering if there's any way that the remote start could trigger the starter on its own by accident or fluke. Are there enough safety measures built into the alarm or is that possible? I guess what I'm saying is if I do not set the manual start mode, is there any chance that the r/s could malfunction and try to crank the car on its own? Anyone ever heard of this? The only reason I ask is in case I need to park somewhere and I decide to put the car in gear in case there is a steep hill or I forget.
x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
Dude, not to be a jerk or anything, but you should really keep all of your questions in the same thread instead of making a new 1 everytime.
But to answer, I have never heard of these just starting up. Read the shutdown procedure to activate a manual remotestart - there is no way someone is going to do that by "accident"
ssbowtie1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
I don't know how things are run here because I'm new, but I'm active on alot of other message boards and the rule of thumb is if its a self sustainable topic that could be helpful to others, then its ok to make a new thread. You never know when someone could be searching for this stuff which is why I try to keep the topics specific if its a new thread.
Anyways I'm sorry I guess its not how it is here and I won't make any new threads.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
Once you have installed to manufacture's specs on the manual setup portion, you should be fine when leaving the car in a gear, for added safety, there is an inline toggle switch that will disable the starter portion of the system, mount this where it is fairly accessible to turn it off when you are unsure of your circumstances!
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  

Also in reference to what x1le said, I noticed you have quite a few threads on this same install, of course on every fourum the rules will differ, so, as long as your questions pertain to the same install, it would be better if you kept them all in one thread, that way, you would get more replies quicker, instead of multiple threads that may hinder those who may be able to reply!

Cheers! And welcome to the fourums!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
I think you should be pretty safe, especially if you remember the following:
1. The unit should never start the car if you fail to (or choose not to) put it in reservation mode.
2. Some installers prefer not to do manual-transmission remote starters in convertibles or open jeeps, because someone could reach in and put the car in gear without opening the door.
3. In my opinion, if you leave children or a dog in the car, you shouldn't put it in reservation mode....it would be too easy for the shift lever to get bumped into gear.
4. You also have the small toggle control switch that comes with the unit. If this switch is on the "off" position (or unplugged or broken), the remote starter is disabled. You should at the very least move the switch to "off" when leaving the car for service, valet parking, or lending it to a friend.
You may want to also turn the switch off when you don't plan on using the remote starter, or when you intentionally park with the transmission in gear.
ssbowtie1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys I overlooked the toggle control switch that extra safety feature makes me feel even more comfortable.

I made sure not to post multiple threads about the same topic, I just had alot of separate questions and maybe I should have just grouped everything together instead.

Either way, thanks everyone for all the support through this install. I'm getting closer and will post results when done.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic