icon

2003 chevy malibu alarm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kgoogs1330 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  

i have a 2003 chevy malibu and i dont think it has an alarm for when people break into the car. the manual says it has something to keep people from breaking into the car and stealing the car itself but nothing about an alarm for when people just break in to steal stuff. ive locked the doors from the inside and opened the lock and then the door and no alarm goes off so im pretty sure it doesnt have that kind of alarm.

so what i want to do is get an alarm so people cant break using a slim jim (i had it happen before) or just break the window without an alarm going off. i dont know much about alarms but i figured someone on this site would know what the perfect alarm would be for what i want it to do and for my car. i dont need a remote starter or keyless entry just an alarm to warn me or anyone around if someones trying to break into the car. if its one that i could install myself that would be great too

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2010 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  

First i would be 100% sure it doesn't already have on as i have seen a lot of them that do. Roll down the drivers window and shut the door, lock it with the key. Wait 2 minutes, reach inside and open the door using the manual unlock button. If there's no sound you are ready to get one.

If you have factory keyless entry already, you can add an alarm to the factory remote. The Automate 3001A or the Pursuit Pro9233N are both designed to do this. They are called "upgrade alarms".

If you have no remotes now, any alarm will cover the doors, trunk and glass breakage. The Automate 3101A or the Pursuit Pro9644I will work in this case. These are stand alone alarms and will come with 2 remotes for activating it. Practically any stand alone alarm will also come with Keyless entry so you might as well connect this too.

This is an easy car to install an alarm in. Practically the entire install can be done at the BCM on the passengers side of the console.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
kgoogs1330 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2010 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

i tried it and there was no alarm that went off so i guess im getting an alarm.

i have a remote for the car, would either one of those alarms you suggested be better than the other or easier to install than the other?

godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2010 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
I would say Automate would be better just because its made by DEI (opinion). As far as easier to install....I guess that would be an opinion too. Ive installed both alarms before.
kgoogs1330 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2010 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
do you know a good place to get one of the Automates?
kgoogs1330 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2010 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
is it also called the automate am1?
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2010 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

Yes the Automate AM1 is the same as the 3001A.

The upgrade alarm is probably a little easier since you don't need to deal with the resisted value one wire lock system the car has. The upgrade arms and disarms by monitoring the 3 door lock motor wires which are all located dead center of the BCM. Very easy.

There are two on Ebay right now. The one listed for 60 bucks is an older outdated model AM1, part #427A. The other for 85 bucks is a newer model 3001A. Take yer pick, or i have both the Pro9233N and the 3001A sitiing in my garage right now for 45 each plus shipping.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic