icon

led scanner very dim

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
juan05 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
Hi i wanted to see if anyone can help me with an led scanner.the led on my alrm went out and it took 1 day for somebody to try and break in my car! so i went out and bought an led scanner but i cant get to work properly. i wierd it like this red to the 12v form the led plug the grond form the same plug and ground while armed for the alarm but its very dim. so i installed a relay and the realy would not click when i would arm it. i also noticed that my starter kill does not work. If anyone can please help. I have an autopage rs 720 THANKS
Everyday u learn something new
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
Are you using an LED scanner array that flashes the different patterns or are you using a single LED in place of the old one?
If it is one of the arrays, you cannot use the alarm LED wires to power them. In needs constant voltage and ground to work. It is triggered on usually by the GWA wire.
If it is a single LED, you may have purchased one that has a built-in resistor.
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
juan05 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
hi 91stt, yeah its led scanner that flashes in diffrent patterns. Ok so i do have it to the wires for the orginal led so i should use a diffrent ground source?Is the 12v ok to use? then there is the GWA from the alarm that i need to use to trigger it i connect it and its very dim. when i connect it to a constant G its nice and brite. now i tried using a relay for the weak ground and its to week to make the relay close.Any ideas?Thanks
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
Do not use any of the wires for the LED, the red wire may not be 12V.
Connect the scanner red to a verified constant 12V source, you can tap it at the main harness after the fuse. The black wire can go to the brain's ground or a chassis ground. The trigger wire, I think it is yellow, should be connected to ground while armed wire but if you have a starter disable relay installed you need to add a diode inline to the GWA wire with the diode band towards the brain. The scanner trigger must be connected on the band side of the diode. If you do not add the diode the scanner will flash because it will sink ground through the relay coil and starter circuit.
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
juan05 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for th info 91stt im going to give it a try right now ill let u know how it goes thanks for youre help!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic