icon

An Odd Subwoofer Mounting????

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
CarStereoNut 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
 Hi everybody, I am new to this forum so all and any information would be great. I belong to a fiberglassing forum and want to custom glass my interior. I was at a car show recently and was looking at the stereo installs in particular to get ideas for my install. Well I stumbed across this one neat interesting install. The subwoofers were not mounted in the usual fashion, with the cone facing forward, rather the magnet was out side of the enclosure and the cone was facing the inside of the enclosure. I have heard that this is called called an Isobaric mounting? Now this is the only field that i am not totally familiar with but do know some about it. What are the advantages/disadvantages of this install? I have seen pictures of using two 'woofers could I use just one subwoofer in this mounting technique. Before I start glassing I would like some tips, advise etc. Thank you in advance for everything.
-Neekos-
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  

This is what an isobaric setup looks like and dose http://www.maximacar.com/isobaric.htm but what I believe you are talking about is called  inverting a sub. Which is where instead of mounting the sub with the magnet in the enclosure, you mount it reverse with the magnet coming out of the enclosure. Now there are absolutely no benefits to mounting a sub this way other than looks. Now if you use this configuration you have to do two things. 1st  if you mount the sub that way it will be out of phase so in order to correct that you will need to reverse the polarity on your speaker connections +to- and - to +. 2nd you will need to subtract the displacement of the sub from your enclosures volume. Other than that the sub will sound the same and like I said before the only advantage is looks.

alienated 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
there's a advantage to make it look ugly like that? id say it's the only dissadvantage :)
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
you will lose SPL by reverse mounting your subs as well...not really reccommended unless you are doing it for show and you have woofers with a really sexy magnet...
CarStereoNut 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  

Ahhh...o k thank you all so far.  Let me see if I got this right. What bberman1 has stated toward the end of the post, is, basically I need to find out how much displacement my woofers basket and magnet take up and subtract that from the woofers recommended box size. (ex. 1.25cu.ft. box size - lets say .25cu.ft. displacement  = 1.00cu.ft. total with the sub invertedly mounted)  Did I get that right? I also understand reversing the polarity. Now although yes I will loose SPL, but can't I compensate that with a efficiant woofer rating? Thanks Again.

-Neekos-
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2003 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

Sounds like you are on the right track. Some times the manufacture will give you the displacement in the owner’s manual. But if not you can get it by contacting their tech department. Personally I like the way some subs look inverted, if you have a nice magnet etc why not show it off.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic