icon

mixed door lock wiring, 98 chevy pu

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
garrinchilders 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2013 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 98 Chevy Pickup that came with manual windows, and locks. I have gathered all of the internals to convert it to power locks & window. I have the the windows functioning as they should with no issue. but the door locks are giving me fits. The driver side internals came from a two door pickup, and the passenger side internals were salvaged from a Tahoe. From what I understand the 2-door pickups operate without a relay that controls the polarity for the the door locks, but the Tahoe relies on a door lock relay to alternate polarity for the lock motors (again, from what I understand). I was able to get the door locks functioning from the driver switch, but if I try to lock/unlock from the passenger door it shorts the orange wire (constant 12v) in the passenger door to the switch. I will attach the wiring diagrams for the 2-door and the 4-door and hopefully someone can tell me where my issue lies. I have tried this without relays, with the 4-wire alternating setup, and the 5-wire setup all provide the same or very similar results.
mixed door lock wiring, 98 chevy pu - Last Post -- posted image.
mixed door lock wiring, 98 chevy pu - Last Post -- posted image.
garrinchilders 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2013 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
I should also note that, when it does short out from the passenger switch the locks actuate in the correct directions but they are extremely slow and under powered. I have tested multiple 2-door and 4-door switch assemblies on both sides (I have a box full of them).
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2013 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
There's a simple ansawer here get two more actuators from the top diagram, you're having a mix and match problem.
garrinchilders 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2013 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
There's a simple ansawer here get two more actuators from the top diagram, you're having a mix and match problem.
I have cross-referenced all of the part numbers for actuators in the 2-doors and 4-doors and they are all the same from 95-98.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2013 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
Not according to those circuit diagrams.
garrinchilders 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2013 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
I replaced the passenger actuator with another one (a 2 door model this time, to match the driver side) and the problem still occurs. it even occurs when it's unplugged from the actuator. Any other Ideas? I have disconnected everything and started from scratch three times. Triple checking my colors and connections. I've tried multiple switches and relays. I am stumped.
lucasoil4u 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2013 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe buy an aftermarket kit that comes complete with wiring and just wiring some actuactors inside the door?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic