icon

87 fiero ultrastart trunk problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daytontd 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT and installed an Ultrastart alarm ( Link Here), everything works fine (door lock/unlock, remote start) but I cannot get the trunk to open. I tried to read if I needed to program the remote but it does not sound like it. For some reason it does not seem to be sending out the signal it should be since the remote thinks it opened the trunk. I tried wiring it different incase it sent out a different signal, and also added a relay in with multiple configurations. Nothing. I thought maybe I could hook up an auxiliary instead to work with the trunk but I cannot seem to get those to send out any signals either... I read on another forum that apparently the 95 series has a firmware problem and needs to be updated but I do not know how or where to do this. Has anyone had the problem? It did not work right from the start so I don't think I fried it in anyway. Thanks in advance.
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,428
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
I've looked at all my wiring sources and none list a trunk release wire. So you can test at the switch to determine what you are working with. If I had to guess I would say the switch drives the trunk release motor. So if that's the case it would be considered a high current circuit. I'm not sure on ultra starts but most aftermarket systems only have a 200ma negative output used to drive low current devices. So if you hooked your trunk release output directly to the motor wire you may have cooked the output. I would start by disconnecting the release output and testing it using a meter. To see if it still works.
I found a diagram online and according to it I was right as far as the motor being driven by the switch. The wire color looks to be BLACK/ whitel coming from the switch. This would make it a positive high current wire and would need a relay to make work.
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
daytontd 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2013 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
I did install a relay in there so the alarm is hooked up to 85 or 86 can't remember and the other one (85 or 86) is grounded. I also tried after with it to some power and neither work. I used a volt meter to test the wire direct and I don't see anything, just a bit of a pulse (it jumps ~0.007 volts) when it unlocks the doors. The trunk works by 1) disarming car, 2) unlocked doors (I see a pulse on the trunk wire) then finally 3) pop the trunk. On 3 I see nothing. Is there a way I can verify that it is fried? (which I am starting to think it is)
chev104275 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2013 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
Ok your relay should be wired like this if your system has a ground trunk release output
Pin 87 and 86 to 12 volts
Pin 85 to the trunk release wire from alarm
Pin 30 output to trunk release motor
To test the output put your red lead on 12 volts. Put the black lead on the output wire and activate the trunk release you should see 12 volts briefly if it's working.
How did you test the trunk wire and what were the results
daytontd 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
That is how I currently have the relay hooked up, it does not work. I put a volt meter on the alarm trunk wire and I don't see any change other than the small pulse of .007 volts (which may be static) from when it does 2) unlock the car doors. I get nothing else other than that on the alarm wire. Did you by any chance hook up or use an auxiliary on the 2 way ultrastart systems? I might have to use one of those but I cannot seem to get either of those to work either...
daytontd 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2013 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
Also I tested the trunk wire by jumping the 12V wire that goes to the switch with the one that goes out of the trunk switch which is an inch away from the 12V wire. Jumping these works and it opens the trunk, it continues the current to the trunk motor and grounds through the trunk latch to the chassis.
chev104275 
Posted: September 20, 2013 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged  
I've never used ultra start systems. But did you try holding down the trunk release button for like 2 seconds. See of you get a reading then ? If you don't you may have burnt the output.   You could use an aux function should be negitive outputs on those as well.
I'm assuming these systems work similar to dei's stuff
Sorry most of the stuff I do is dei or code alarm.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,791
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2013 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  
I use some Ultra Start units, mostly the U1272. The newer Ultra Starts do have what they call "OOPS"
circuitry that is supposed to protect the unit in case of an overload situation. I believe a power off or
Factory Reset might be needed to clear the fault.
Additionally, as chev104275 pointed out, the RED / White wire Trunk Release output needs a full three
second press on the Trunk button. The Trunk Release output is not a fixed 0.8 second output. It will
stay active for up to 5 seconds, depending on how long you continue to hold the button after the initial
3 seconds.
Think I would do a Factory Reset on the unit and start from there. The Installation Guide has the wire
descriptions and programming option tables.
Soldering is fun!
daytontd 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2013 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
I reset the alarm and held the button in as before and still nothing. I finally figured out that to enter program mode I had to cycle the key on/off 3 times then press the antenna button only. I thought the program button was on the remote. I finally got the second auxiliary working and picked the second option so when I double click the regular door unlock button it pops the trunk. I think I will end up using this since it is the only other way to get the trunk to work, I like it more anyways since it is faster than having to hold the dang remote button in for 4 seconds the other way (which again does not work). Now if there is a way to set the second auxiliary to one click on the trunk button that would be awesome, but I don't think I can change buttons on the ultrastart. Thanks for the help guys!
chev104275 
Posted: September 20, 2013 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
No problem let us know how it works out

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic