icon

headlight wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nehuge 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2013 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 1995 motorhome that had the old sealed beam 4x6 halogen lights.
The only lenses that are available to me at this time are ones that take 9006 and 9005 bulbs. In other words I'm going from 4 seperate glass headlights to just two "bars"; plastic lenses with 2 holes in the back for 2 bulbs, regular and hi beams.
This motorhome chassis is a Ford F-53 (sort of like an F-550).
It is a 4 seperate headlight setup.
Can I simply remove the old 3 prong connector, and wire in 9005 and 9006 connectors?
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2013 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

the newer headlights have different plugs. they are more of a weather sealed design.

you will need to at least splice a new plug to the wiring to correctly fit each new bulb.

so you dont like the old 4x6 bulbs?

yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
nehuge 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2013 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
I don't want to have to switch out the entire piece whenever they start to go out. I'd like to just swap out a light bulb.
Do h4's and 9006's both have the same 3 'tabs' that you push and turn into the housing?
Are there any wattage issues or draw by making this change from sealed beam to these H4's or 9006's?
powerslave 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2013 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
AS the other user said, just splice in the new plugs for the bulbs you want to use with the assemblies you use.
There should not be any wattage issues, low beam is 55, and high like 65 watts.
H4 with three prongs, is a ground, then a LO and HI beam prong. S0, if you want one headlamp per side, with HI and LOW? Use one H4 in each headlamp assembly. This means, using one ground to your new plug, then the original low beam lamp's + wire to the LO side of the plug, then the original HI beam lamp's + wire to the HI beam part of the new plug.
IF you want separate HI/LO headlamps, then use the 9005 / 9006 in separate headlamp assemblies. Just splice in new plugs into the existing LO and HI beam lamp wires. With this application, there are two wires per bulb, a Ground from each beam, then the + from each beam.
Or, you can use H4 in one lamp, and a 9005 in another, so you always have a LOW beam on on the 9005 lamp, when you turn HI beams on the H4 installed lamp.
9005SX/9006SX do not have the 90-degree plug, they're straight back plug ins, FYI...
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2013 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
some of those composites people sell on ebay to replace the old 4x6 headlights come with wiring adapters.
yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2013 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
I'd suggest NOT cutting (or splicing) into the original wiring.
Instead connect to the existing headlight connectors just as those adding headlight relay do.
Admittedly adding relays means a trivial current draw thru the OEM connectors, and you might not be able to add relays (if it effects monitoring systems etc) hence you'd need good high current interconnectors.
nehuge 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2013 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
I'll take a look, thanks all.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic