icon

Monster vs. Fostgate

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trdgts 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2003 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
good explanation :) i was thinking it was all marketing, but like you i stick with the $20 monster cables because im happy with the sound, i doubt anything higher will sound different. i jus thought they would LOSE money from manufacturing cables that hardly anyone would buy. but i guess there are a lot of people that spend the money jus because...
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2003 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

Some of the more expensive models in Monster's line are a lil more durable than the others and they look cooler, but you will never hear the difference between the top of the line 75 dollar cable and the entry-level 25 dollar cable that they make.  But to be totally honest, unless you really abuse the cable when installing it, the high end model will not really hold up all that much better than the entry level one.  This seems to be the case for pretty much all the other manufacturers out there, but there is one exception.

Rockford Fosgate makes those silly Gamma Matrix RCAs that do a good job of shielding the signal from interference, but so do RF's entry level cables;  and the problem with the Gamma MAtrix ones is that whoever designed the plugs on those cables wanted to have them be removable for easier install, but they sacrificed durability by doing so.  I have seen MANY gamma matrix RCAs with broken ends (not the tip but the part that surrounds it), to the point where the cable will not stay plugged in unless you wrap some electrical tape around the terminal and the plug.  It's kind of hard to explain just what I mean but I'm sure those of you who carry/install these cables know all too well what i'm talking about.

Needless to say, I have never seen a pair of broken RF RCAs from any of their other models--just the supposedly high end gamma matrix ones.  And I've never been able to tell a difference in sound between the models.

However, I HAVE been able to tell a difference (albeit very minimal) between the "freebie" type RCAs that have hardly any shielding and are untwisted; also these cables are just very flimsy and one pull the wrong way when installing them can easily damage the cable.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2003 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
Just wanted to clarify something:  when I was referring to "gamma matrix RCAs" I'm talking about this particular kind. There are others that use the word gamma in their name but are very different from this one. 
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
trdgts 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2003 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
thanks :) i know what you mean about the durability. but i think i'll be sticking with the 201XLNs for a while
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic