the12volt.com spacer
icon

Amp No Longer Powering On

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fenster4 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2019 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote fenster4
Hi, I was reconnecting the power cord to the amp and didn't realize the key was in the ignition turned on with the radio volume down. As a result there was a spark and the amp no longer powers up. The amp in the power cord is not blown and I have tested the power to the amp from the power cord and it is delivering. What else could it be? Something in the amp itself?
timbo74 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2019 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote timbo74
Check the amps onboard fuse, or fuses, if that’s not it, you probably blew something.
This may be a learning experience, Never hook up, or unhook an amplifier with the main power fuse installed, or the head unit powered up. Always remove the fuse, and turn your key off before you do anything!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 29, 2019 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Do you still have voltage on the remote wire at the amplifier?
fenster4 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2019 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote fenster4
Okay, I will check the voltage on the remote wire. The onboard fuse along with the fuse between the 2-Channel High Power Line Output Converter and the amp are fine. The fuse in the power cable at the battery is fine. The 2-Channel High Power Line Output Converter lights up as well.
fenster4 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2019 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote fenster4
It's the stock radio for a 2015 Jeep Rubicon by the way. The 2-Channel High Power Line Output Converter sits next to the amp and sub and lights up so it sounds like bad news for the amplifier? The amp is a Sound Storm SSL F2.600.
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 30, 2019 at 5:16 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
You need to use a multimeter to verify power is getting to the power and remote terminals.
fenster4 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2019 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote fenster4
I verified the amp is receiving power so there must be internal damage to the amp. Ugh.
i am an idiot 
Posted: September 02, 2019 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
When checking the voltage, did you have your negative lead on the ground terminal of the amplifier, or on chassis? If you had it connected to chassis you need to do the following as well.
Check voltage from ground terminal of the amplifier to the chassis of the vehicle. Should read 0 volts, if it reads anything other than that you have a bad ground.
fenster4 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2019 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote fenster4
I had it on the ground terminal on the amp. The ground terminal is ground to the chassis of the vehicle. That is a good point about the ground wire. I will check the voltage to verify it is 0.
i am an idiot 
Posted: September 03, 2019 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
If you used the ground terminal of the amplifier as your ground reference for the meter, your ground is good. No need to check it. A lot of times people will use chassis and that does not check the ground connection. Unless it has blown fuses inside or on the endcap of the amplifier it is probably broken.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic