icon

diodes relays and fun

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
LittleBill 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2003 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
allright i have some questions about diodes, now say u have a item that pulls 24 amps when on, now say u put a diode inline on this power line, does the diode need to have a 24 amp rating? i would assume so, so my next question would be say u don't have 1 24 amp diode, could u wire 4 6 amp diodes in series to get the same effect or would u still fry the diode? and my last question i was told u could use a relay in conjunction so u would not need a high amp diode? could someone give me a real basic diagram on how this would work? thanks
LittleBill 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2003 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
i have one more question too, where would i get the diodes? cus all i see are diodes from radio shack and none actually say blocking, can i use a barrel or rectifyer one?
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2003 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  

Yes if a diode is rated at 1 amp any more will make it glow :) . you could use a combination to allow for greater current draw. I like to buy electronics from digikey.com.

here are their diodes (tons to choose from): http://www.digikey.com/scripts/us/dksus.dll?Criteria?Ref=26810&Cat=30933663

xetmes 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2003 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
ohh a rectifier is a diode used to change AC to DC , you can use it the same, a bridge rectifier on the other hand is 4 diodes. If you see schottky it is a type of diode, that has a .4 V drop (if i remember correctly). If you look at the ones on that site, it is cheaper and much easier to just get a diode capable of handling the current.
LittleBill 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2003 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

xetmes so my thought process is correct?, so that page u show me if i just punch in 30 amp 25v? what ever it spits out at me is fine??? like i said i don't know, all these diodes work, just do different things but all provide one way paths? so if i get a rectifier or a barrel? it will work ok for me? can i use these

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=CTLG_010_005_003_016&product_id=276-1661, let me know, and if u have aim or something would u throw it to me i would like to talk to u one on one , if u don't mind

xetmes 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2003 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
They should work fine, if you look at the digikey pages most high current diodes are recitfiers and you must check if it can handle the current you need as the RMS current.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic