icon

55 Amp Alternator Enough?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scroley 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2003 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  

Me again, with the 80 Scout and weak alternator at 40 amp (originally thought 35).  I can upgrade to a 55 amp but thats as high as I can go.  I'll call an alternator shop and see what they think but I was told it ain't gonna happen on anything higher.

Anyways, my question is this: whats the maximum safest load I can run on this alternator?

My desire is two 10" subs at 100 watts each, two 6 x 9"s and two tweeters at about 50 watts each.  Safe? Crazy? or Stupid?  Full explanation and recommendation would be great!

refer to my earlier post on two batteries just a few posts from this one...

Thank you,
Aaron
jackjeckyl@hotmail.com
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2003 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
post what amps and subs and speakers you want...100W means so many different things to different manufacturers...so does 50...
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2003 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
sure it can happen. all you need is a 1 wire alt. get at least a 100amp. even if you don't have a big power audio system. man you got a SUV. you need power for Head lights,a/c, spot lights, wench, CB or any thing else you can think of. all you need is a 1 wire alt and connect it to the positive term on the batt. no problem. the alt shop will do it for you. it will be worth it.
Big Dave
scroley 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  
I was looking to use a Rockford Fosgate 4080.  80 watts bridged to two subs, and 40 to the four speakers.  The Scout doesn't have much in the terms of electrical stuff, although your right on the winch, CB, and aux lights although they're very sparingly used.
Thank you,
Aaron
jackjeckyl@hotmail.com
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
you will be fine with the alternator u have right now and if you did somehow blow it you could then just replace it
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
From the specs you give above, 80 watts bridged (40 watts per sub) and then 40X4 your total wattage is 80+160 =240 (I don’t know if this is the RMS or MAX wattage) now the current draw on 240 watts RMS is 18.9 amps. So with a 55 amp alternator you should have sufficient power for both your audio system and your cars electrical system.
scroley 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

Its RMS (what I'm planning).  So to sum up: I'm going to use a 4 channel Fosgate 4080 amp.  I'm going to bridge two channels for the subs (80 watts RMS) and split the four remaining speakers in series over the other two channels.  I will likely use Infinity Kappa subs, 6x9s, and tweeters along with a JVC head unit and CD changer.  All this over a 55 amp alternator.  All fine and good?

Replacing is not a viable option.  The alterantor with 55 amps is $500.  I'll take the 40 amp one off and save it for later.

Thank you,
Aaron
jackjeckyl@hotmail.com
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
You would probably want to wire the other 4 speakers in Parallel, not Series. Parallel will produce a 2ohm load per channel with 2 speakers on each channel. Series will produce an 8ohm load per channel with 2 speakers on each channel (not even worth doing IMO because you wont get much from the amp at all).
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
stegen 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  

I would just stick with the stock alt and run your system and aux lights seperate or for short periods of time together. $500 for a alt upgrade is sad. the stock should be fine. it is small but you arent running anything big anyway.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic