icon

MA audio amp over a kicker amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  

wvsquirrel I guess we must think the same way.

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
great minds MA audio amp over a kicker amp? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
One of my co-workers just took my advice and bought a BP1200.1 to destroy a Power Acoustik FUBR-12 (after all, it's only 700 RMS but 1800Peak, and any "decient" DVC should be able to reliably handle RMS+half the difference between RMS and Peak). He definately proved the ratings wrong when he destroyed that sub with only 1200 watts in less than 30 minutes! He was still amazed at how much power, and cleaner signal, were produced (before the sub blew obviously) compared to a Kenwood that he was running. Those JBL BP's are gonna corner the market pretty soon!
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
dr_jdelara 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
its me again fellas, how about planet audio amps compared to all the rest we have been talking about.
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  

They defiantly dominate this forum. A while back I did the same thing with some 250 watt rms or so Autotech subs. I didn’t think they would last 10 minuets but they actually lasted a couple days of driving around with the smell of burning voice coils before they started smoking.

bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  

Planet Audio is pretty decent. However I would suggest that you go with the JBL

dr_jdelara 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
well i guess you got me on the JBL band wagon, all this talking of massive power with this JBL amp has got me anxious to see what it can do.  thanks guys.
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  
Good to hear you won’t be disappointed MA audio amp over a kicker amp? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. Just be sure to adjust the gains properly (I would actually turn them down a little more then normal) https://incolor.inebraska.com/weisinator/car-audio-basics/set_amp_gains.htm
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  
Your welcome. You wont be sorry with the BP1200.1. Just watch the gain setting like we said earlier and you should be very happy.
One thing with the JBL setup is even though it is a "mono" amp, it has 2 sets of sub terminals. It is internally bridged, not externally. The second set of terminals was added for ease of adding multiple subwoofers. According to JBL, you can either...
1) Have a 1ohm total load using just one of the terminal sets (leaving the other set unused), or
2) Have no lower than a 2ohm total load on each terminal set (which gets converted to 1ohm total load due to the internal bridge).
So with DVC's, you can still use (2) 2 or 4 ohm subs, you would just attatch them differently to the amp. Here's how...
BP1200.1 and (2) 2ohm DVC's
You would wire the subs in series/parallel to only one terminal set (leaving the other terminal set on the BP1200.1 empty). You will have a 2ohm total load and receive the 1200 x 1 @ 2ohm rating
BP1200.1 and (2) 4ohm DVC's
You would wire each sub in parallel to it's own terminal set (each sub would be on it's "channel", even though they are still the same "technical" channel). Each terminal set would have a 2ohm total load, producing a 1ohm total load due to the internal bridge. You would receive the 1200 x 1 @ 1ohm rating.
Let us know if you need diagrams when you get the amp, and we'll be happy to send you one.
Since JBL (as with most other manufacturers) rates on a 14.4volt electrical system, you wont get the full 1200 watts. You should get somewhere around 1000 - 1100 watts on a 12volt electrical system, provided your alternator can handle the load. The max current draw is 114amps, I believe the nominal draw is around 60-80amps.
One last thing (I know I'm long winded!), you will want to use a 4 gauge amp kit for power (I believe 4awg is the largest diameter that the BP series will accept).
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
wvsquirrel 
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  
great minds again bberman!
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic