icon

All new stereo equip in 80 IH Scout

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scroley 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  

My ball of clay is a 1980 International Harvester Scout (If you don't know what one is, think of a jeep).  I want to put a nice stereo in, including a couple subs but I don't want to thunder down the road.  The vehicle will switch between a soft top and hard top.  It already has 5.25" speakers that are behind the front seats about armpit length high.  There is no other speakers up front or anywhere else.  I am trying to be budget minded, but am willing to invest a small chunk into her.

Something else to note is that I will be using a 55 amp alternator.  This is actually an upgrade from the 40 amp that is stock.  There are no options to upgrade higher or rebuild it (It is a Hitachi alternator that no one will touch).  The car is relatively low in electrical use, with just normal lighting.  It does however, have a winch, fog lights, and CB which are rarely used.

I have chosen a JVC head unit and CD changer.  I can get a Rockford Fosgate Punch 4080 (40x4 or 80x2) relatively cheap.   I am leaning towards Infinity products for the speakers, but this is where I need your help.  Should I go with 5.25" 2-way Kappas in the back and then Infinity 5.25" component system up front?  Then 2 10" Kappa subs?  I can cut bigger holes in the back, but at this time I believe its unnecessary.  I have not taken the front panels off the doors yet, but I believe there will be enough room for 5.25"s.

What would you do??????  Should I go with Infinity?  Scrap the 5.25s?  Scrap the 4080?  Include how you would wire it also please.... 

Thank you,
Aaron
jackjeckyl@hotmail.com
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

Go with the Infinity speakers, especially if you are using the Kappa line.  While there are certainly better speakers on the market, IMO Kappa's are probably the best "bang for the buck" out there.

Does your JVC head unit have high-pass crossovers for the four main speakers?  If not, you might want to invest in (at least) some good quality bass blockers for the 5-1/4" drivers.

Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

Rockford fosgate subs are really nice.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
i would still get a good 1 wire ac/delco alt built at a local shop. at least 150 amp. you will need it with the wench and other stuff. trust me it will be worth it.
Big Dave

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic