icon

2002 Chevy Trailblazer Amp installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bassam_zaman 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2003 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
Hello everyone. This is prbably the most helpful website with audio installations! Anyway, i have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer and i had a few questions. Somone who knows or has installed audio systems on trailblazers would know the answer to my question, anyway, i dont want to extend a wire all the way from the battery to the trunk, becuz im gonna have to make/drill a hole and i dont want to do that. Then i discovered that under the rear seats there is a fuse box for the reaer doors, tail lights etc. and its getting its power staright from the battery as i tracked the wire to the battery. The wire is probably 1 cm or around 1/2 inch  in diameter. Im planning on using the same wire for my amps power. What do u guys think?? And what would there be side effects be if i do it this way? ie. tail lights dimming etc. Thanks alot for your help, Bassam, 
NismaX 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2003 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
As an installer I wouldn't want to mess with the wiring you are talking about. It is there for a reason. You are better off running your own. The labor for the reward is cheap rather than having to find out later that the wiring your trying to hook into is not up to suppling your amp plus what it's intened purpose. I've always found that the Trailblazers are fairly easy to work on. I have not been approached yet to put in an amp yet. Do you have the Bose system? If you do you'll need an adapter to hook your aftermarket am up!
Jon
NismaX 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2003 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, I forgot I have a Trailblazer coming in tomorrow for an autostarter I can look for you then to find a place to come through the firewall for your lead. I'm thinking passenger side. The interior pannels under the dash come off easily and there is room above. (I installed an XM receiver above one recently.)
Jon
bassam_zaman 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2003 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Jon, thanks alot for your help. Plz look for a place , i have opened the panels under the drivers side, absolutley no space! And i dont want to drill a hole no matter what!!! Oh yes, i so have a boss system. What do u mean by after market adapter?/ for what?? I have wiring diagram for all the wires in the stock head unit like blur for remote turon yellow for this black for that blablab, i jjust need to tap into the wires and everythming. Plz explain !! tThanks alot , i have never done this before!! i am installing a 12inch mtx 8000 400watt rms and a 400 amp. Do u think the battery and everything could handle it? Thanks alot for your help jon, Bassam
NismaX 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2003 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I checked out the Trailblazer and since the battery is one driver's side that is the place to come through the fire wall. Sorry you'll have to drill a hole here to get the wire through. (It is only one hole you can always get a rubber hole plug at a hardware store if you take this out) Use a grommet to keep the wire from getting cut. If you look up at the firewall to the left of the steering column you will see a place where you can pull the rubber noise dampner off and drill through. You really need to be able to power this amp with it's own lead you cannot rely on what is in the vehicle for power. Be sure to fuse it near the battery! Yes, you can just get away with running your amp although you my want to add a 1.5 farad capacitor to make sure that your amp has enough power available to it. I'm not sure what size wire to run as I don't know what the amp draw is. (look at your fuse on the side) But, your probably looking at least an 8ga wire for this install. This will give you about 50A of current to supply your amplifier.
The adapter I'm talking about is from Peripheral www.peripheralelectronics.com 800-477-2267 They make this adapter to plug into your GM radio and have aftermarket amplifier control It has line level outputs and a turn on lead for it. It will make your life easier. Remember your radio is in a data bus circuit and disconnecting it will cause door chimes and maybe even your dome lights not to work. Call these guys to find out more about this this vehicle can be tricky to mess with!!
Good Luck!
Jon
bassam_zaman 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2003 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

Hey jon, about the power wire connection thing, i just want you to vist this link that i found and this guy has a trailblazer and has used the power wire in the fuse box under the left rear seat to power the amp and i emailed him and he confirmed it . This is the Link : http://www.cardomain.com/id/tshark87  Read the description, under notes he mentions it. also, i donot understand why i need this adapter, im simply going to tap into the wires that are behind the head unit and i have the colour coding and evrything! I mean i really appreciate your expertise but im just a confused! thanks alot for your advice jon, Bassam.

basshead775 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2003 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  

Hey basam, The wire adaptor will make things go alot easier and has rca low level preamp outputs, as for power I strongly suggest drilling a hole through your firewall and getting  power straight from your battery with a fuse as close to your battery as possible. for power wire you should imo run 4 awg all the way to the amplifier inacse you ever want to add anothre amplifier to your system. if you want to learn more about car audio go termpro.com audio forum.

cesar

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic