icon

SPL Meter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mwhcai 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2002 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
Has anyone used an SPL meter that costs under $100?  Audio Control makes one specifically for a car, but it is around $300.  Radio Shack sells a portable unit with a digital dispaly for around $60-70.  I have a JL Audio Prowedge with a 12W3-D2 driver that seems to reach fairly high spl levels with 360 watts RMS going to it.  It seem like a good idea for the average subwoofer user (especially those going for  high spl) to use one of these meters to make sure they are not causing hearing damage.  Several web pages indicate that 130dB is the level that causes pain (and obviosly hearing damage).  Has anyone found an inexpensive meter that works well to measure their car audio ouput?
GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2002 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
radio shack has an analog SPL meter for about $40. the analog one is better than the digital honestly.
it's the one I use for measuring SPL and setting driver levels for home theater.
otherwise you're usually stuck with needing an RTA for higher SPL, or a PC, RTA software, a mic-preamp, and a calibrated mic.
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
Garfunkel01 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2002 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
Those Radio Shack SPL Meters are kool, but there is only one problem.  THEY PEAK AT 120 DB.  Anything higher than that does not read properly.  If you are doing Home Audio, this is not a problem, but with Car audio, 130 dB Is really nothing to write home to mommy about (no offence to those of you still under 130 db) let alone only 120.  I have not seen or heard of anything that will work for what you need it for for less than about $500. 
Owner/Installer
Bassment Designs
Alberta Canada
Kicker in a Convert!! YAY!!
GlassWolf 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2002 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
yeah I meant to mention that. heh
however, also keep in mind if you're competing IASCA, 120dB is max points anyway so that's all you need.
if you compete SPL, don't even bother trying to find an SPL meter for under $100 that'll read those SPLs. heh
not gonna happen. better off buying that audio-control RTA or the one Coustic makes.
-GlassWolf
mwhcai 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2002 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help guys.  I am not planning on competing for SPLs.  I just wanted to find out the SPL for my current system.  I did end up buying the analog SPL meter from Radio Shack.  It does only go up to 126dB, but according to several web sites 130dB is the threshold for pain and will cause permanent hearing damage.  Radio Shack probably didn't go over 130dB on their meter  because the device is handheld and someone would probably takes measurements over 130db inside their car - possibly liability issues.  My normal listening level is probably only around 90dB (probably a little higher on the freeway but I haven't tested that yet).  How do they test the dBs for the SPL competitions?  Do they put an SPL tester in the car with the windows up?  That might be a stupid question, but I have never been to an SPL competition.
GlassWolf 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2002 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  
yes. they use a high-SPL electratet condensor mic connected to a mic pre-amp, then to an RTA and put this inside the car, then the door is shut, no person is inside the car, and volume is adjusted by remote control usually. SPL is displayed on the RTA, and sometimes on an external display board or light-tree.
If the person sits in the car they are not allowed to excede 130dB if I recall, or they are disqualified, even with hearing protection.
It's all in the rules for each event on the websites for dB Drag Racing, IASCA, and USAC.
If ya just want to test SPL for your car once, go to any local shop that has an RTA. They usually rent RTA time to people for system tweaking. They'll measure yours for a moninal fee most times.
-GlassWolf
TonsOFunCustoms 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2002 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
when i competed with our project car (a 2000 eclipse) last year it was with the IASCA and we competed inside the car while the DB tech was in the passenger seat... we hit 156.2dbs and we were in the car the whole time... thats the only way ive seen it except for the big guys that come in with external controls...
Tons O Fun Customs
Relax! We're professionals...
Owner/Installer
GlassWolf 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2002 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
It entirely depends on the event. If you guys sat in the car hitting over 150 with no hearing protection that was just plain silly. dB Dragracing has some very specific rules regarding SPL emasurement though.
Just check the circuits' sites to see for sure.
-GlassWolf

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic