icon

avalanche wiring help?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
noalibi 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2003 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
hello all, i've been reading and soaking up all the audio/video knowledge from this forum for sometime and now i need to ask a question. i have a 2002 avalanche an am in the planning stages of adding a 4 channel amp for the door speakers, and a sub amp to drive 1 10". my question is, how do i wire up the amp and remote turn on so as not to defeat the delay off feature that gm has that allows the receiver to play after the ignition is turned off until a door is opened? i don't want a system that still plays but will drop the remote power when the igition is switched to off and cause the amps to shut down and the receiver still energized. i have installed many high end systems over the years, but i have never encountered this feature before. hellllllp? avalanche wiring help? - Last Post -- posted image.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2003 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  

By now I'm sure you are aware that your vehicle is equipped with a class 2 data bus system http://www.velocitymotorsport.com/install_notes/OBDII.htm . If you plan on doing a full setup as described above I would also recommend that you upgrade your head unit to a good aftermarket unit . If you want to retain the door relay just hook up your aftermarket head units switched 12volt as described below

You will want to tap into the RAP (Retained Accessory Power); the relay is in the driver's side fuse box.

Pull the relay halfway out, so it still operates, but you can carefully slide a test light or meter against the terminals.
Test the terminals until you find the one that operates correctly. I think it is terminal #30, but not sure.
After you have identified the right terminal, wrap a wire around it and reinsert the relay. Connect a 10 amp inline fuse within a foot or so of the relay. Then connect the aftermarket head units switched 12volt to the other side of the fuse, and you're done. Then just hook up the constant and ground on your head unit.  If you’re going to use the factory head unit instead then you will want to do the same thing as mentioned above but instead of attaching your switched 12 volt for the head unit, you will want to attach the remote wire from your amps. And use a 1 or 2 amp fuse instead.

noalibi 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
okay,... so where do i tap into the existing speakers and will it affect the door chime or some other feature. i am going to use a speaker level to preamp converter to the 4 channel amp then use the 4 channels preamp outputs to get input to the sub amp then out to the subwoofer. i would really appreciate some insight on where to pick up the signal, prefer not to pull the door panels, but will if i must. wire colors.........schematic....?avalanche wiring help? - Last Post -- posted image.
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
I don’t have a wiring diagram for your truck, but I would suggest you make a post in the vehicle information database part of this forum for it. As far as the class 2 data bus goes if your using the factory head unit and factory amplifier (which it sounds like you are) you will not have any problem with the door chime etc. You will need to tap into the speaker wires after the factory amp in order to wire in your high to low converters. Now as far as the delay goes just wire the amps remote as described above to the RAP, The only problem with that is the amps will remain on even if the radio is off. The amps will not turn off until you open your door You will have a similar problem no matter which way you hook up the remote wire, since the radio dose not have a switched 12volt or remote wire. I would suggest that you install a toggle switch on the remote wire, in order to turn the amps off if you do not want the amps on while the car is on and the radio is off.
noalibi 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
thanks bberman1, i never thoought about the amps on with the radio off, toggle switch - got it
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

Glad to have helped avalanche wiring help? - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic