icon

Soften Siren Chirp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
yakky 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 6:28 AM / IP Logged  
I just installed a Crimestopper CS-2001RS, great unit, no hassles with the install, sick range! My only problem is the siren chrip... sounds a little bit like Smokey's mom's Pinto in the movie Friday. I'd like to soften up the chirp quite a bit. Any ideas of how to do this without affecting the siren output (which is pretty damn loud!). I know I can get another siren but I'm on the cheap here.
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Give your siren a bad ground or put a resistor on it!
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
k2thz 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
Do you want to change the tone/sound or just the volume? If just a volume change, then you'll just need a resistor. Make sure you measure the current going into the siren first.
The siren's output will probably vary logarithmically with the current through it; i.e. if you drop the current by 10%, the output will drop by half. So calculate the current you want based on the volume decrease you're after, and use a resistor to reduce the voltage drop across the siren...
THE BELOW IS ONLY A 1st-ORDER CALCULATION!
Say your siren draws 1A, for ease in calculation.
If you want 50% output, you'll want 0.9A or 900mA.
To get 900mA, you'll want 90% of the existing voltage drop.
90% of 12V is 10.8V.
So at 900mA, you'll want the resistor to drop 1.2V.
So V=IR or R=1.3Ohms.
Keep in mind that at 1.3 ohms and 900mA the power dissipated by the resistor is 1.17 watts. So don't go sticking a little 1/4-watt resistor from radio shack in there! You'll probably want two 1-ohm resistors in series, and you'll want at LEAST 1-watt resistors. I would go with two 1-ohm, 2-watt resistors in series.
Of course, this gets very interesting if the siren draws different amounts of current at different frequencies! I won't even go there...
DDR
yakky 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2003 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info guys, what I was looking for was something to soften the chirps, not the siren output. It came to me while I was in the gym, use resistors for one feed of the siren, then use a relay with a resistor and cap to switch on after 1 second to give full siren output.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic