icon

need advice on sub mounting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
grimdeath69 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2002 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

I'm doing an install for my cousin and need some advice.  I'm mounting 2 JL Audio 12W0's in a reverse configuration.   The encloser will be part MDF, part fibreglass and covered in bondo for shape.  I've never mounted subs in this way before and have some questions before starting.

Are these boxes usually sealed or ported?  What is the best way to connect the woofer to the box?  Will the angle the back of the sub is facing make a difference like a normal mounted sub?  Do I wire the subs in reverse polarity?

Help with any of these questions would be greatly apprieated.

Thanks   Mark

Garfunkel01 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2002 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
Hey grim..
I currently have 2 15" Kicker solobarics in my trunk both in separate boxes with magnets out. I have a pic of them, will get you a link soon, anyway, speakes work very well magnet out in boxes. Some people (me included) actually believe that speakers actually sound better this way rather than regular mounting. Speaking from experience, if at all possible, bigger speakers work better if they are aimed at each other rather than on the same plane. I also can say that there is actually a limit of how much it helps tho. I currently have my subs aimed up at 30 degrees to the floor, making basically a slightly more than 90 degree v shape between the baffles that the subs are mounted to. Another advantage to building boxes in this manner is that you do not have to account for speaker that will be inside the box. therefore the boxes can be slightly smaller (especially with the 10 pound magnets on the 15" kickers). I have my speakers wired reguarly since the speakers still have the same amount of air pressure from the box, it's just on the other side of the speaker cone. I have tried polarity both into and away from the box and cannot really notice any difference. Try it this way and i am sure that you will like it.
Owner/Installer
Bassment Designs
Alberta Canada
Kicker in a Convert!! YAY!!
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2002 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  

If by reverse you mean with the baskets out, then the above reply is right on. They act just like speakers mounted normally, and should be treated as such. The woofer can be screwed in from behind (usually) just as easily as from in front. The subs should be in whatever polarity gives you the most kick (sometimes reversing polarity will put it in better phavse w/. the rest of the system and make it seem louder or better sounding).

If you mean one facing in and one out, then they should be wired in reverse in reference to eachother.

/NyxBass

91blaze 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2002 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
if you mount one sub backwards and one forward it sounds cleaner. something with the cones shape or something being the same. it cancels out some sort of distortion thats made. i read about one time.
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2002 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  
I think you may be referring to the way the trapped air inside the two cones help keep the cones stiffer and less resonant. The speakers work together to keep the surfaces from extraneous movement, instead of alone. It's kind of like the acoustic suspension of a sealed box, but from both sides (of at least one sub.)
/NyxBass

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic