icon

Stereo set up ideas?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
justin_92_92 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
I have just two amps in the back of my wrangler. I have a crossover hooked up so I can designate one amp for mid range and one amp for bass. I have a rca cable comes out of stereo and then goes in crossover. Then the mid range goes to a 300 watt amp and fires up two 6x9's I belive they are 150max  each. Then I have the low going from my crossover to a 600 watt amp that powers up two 10 inch speakers in a box. I have the wires hooked up like this.        pos-neg     neg-pos on both amps. any ideas or suggestions im new at this stuff. Should i bridge andything and if so can you bridge 2 things on one amp?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  

In general, it sounds like you are OK except for one thing: your amps and speakers should be hooked up with Pos (+) on the amp to Pos (+) on the speaker, and Neg (-) to Neg (-).  It sounds like you have everything hooked up in stereo?  If you like the way it sounds, then you are done!

muppetmaster 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
I think you are fine with your 6 x 9's, but you might want to play around a little bit.  Try bridging your amp (if it is rated stable in bridged mode) to see if you like that better.  Make sure you match the combined resistance of the subs with the resistance of the output of the amp.  If your amp says that it is 4 ohm stable in bridged mode, wire up your subs together so that total resistance is 4 ohms.  Is your sub amp two channels or four?  What kind of amp and subs.  Most of the time, they rate amps at their peak power, not RMS, so be wary of that.  I don't think you are getting 600 watts out of that amp... yet.  That may be what it puts out bridged.  Remember, in bridged mode, your amp will run a little hotter, so make sure there is proper ventilation, as nothing should be covering the amp too closely.  I think you should just experiment with it, and find something you like.  Different people like the way different things sound.  Like DYohn says, find something you like, and you have something that fits you.
justin_92_92 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
well i actually said that wrong I do have the pos to the amp pos and the neg to the amp neg. It is a pioneer amp and it is 4channel. I really am not sure how to use other channels or anything. I just plugged it in till it worked lol. I have a box with plexi over the fron and 2 10's in it. It as 4 holes on the top to vent i believe. im not too sure what ohm is. Now when you say bridged. does that mean I could put both poss from the speakers and put them on the bridged poss. then put both neg from the speakers and put them on the neg bridge side? Will that blow andy thing or will it just put out max power to them? I need to check the speakers i think cause i just got the box from a buddy and i never have seen the speakers out side the box. the pioneer amp is 600 watt max.
muppetmaster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

The way you put it, it sounds like you have a bandpass box.  Are the subs completely enclosed, or is one side of them touching free air?  This would be a ported enclosure.  I see best results out of a sealed enclosure, with it being smaller, and the frequency response across a broader plane.  Resistance (ohms) is how restricted a given circuit is.  Take plumbing for example.  You have two different size pipes with water being pumped through them at the same speed.  The bigger pipe is going to allow a larger amount of water molecules to pass through it than the same speed as compared to the smaller pipe.  Same goes for electronics.  That is why good installers stress the need for a large power wire (pipe).  The bigger it is, the more electrons are able to pass through it at the same speed (volts).  If you have different levels of resistance, you can cook something, as it will be trying to push a load too big for the "pipe" that it is trying to go through.  You can cook an amp and even possibly voice coils.  Look at the blue column on the left.  Go to the top.  Under basics click on Ohm's law, that might be able to explain it better than I can.  My own ramblings make sense to me.  LOL

Bridging combines power rails from two different channels, essentially doubling your power output.  You have to make sure your amp is bridgeable (killed that spelling).  If it didn't come with a manual, or it is not marked on the output channels where to place the speaker wire, look up the manual on the pioneer website for that model.  Usually to bridge, you take the two different channel that are closest to each other.  Run pos from speaker wire to the farthest outside pos when you are looking at it.  Same for neg.  Take neg from speakers and run it to the farthest outside neg when you look at it.  The two in the middle are not used.  It will look something like this ( x's are terminals not used)   + x x -     or - x x +        (i can't remember off hand which way they go   :)   )   If you have a four channel amp, great!  You can reach maximum power output with that by bridging two sets ( bridge two together to have one, and the other two to have a total of two outputs)   looking like this  + x x -    + x x -        You can now hook up each sub to its own bridged channel.  They are going to be power hungry beasts.  Like I said, check resistance and specs on the subs and amp.  If your subs are 4 ohm single voice coil (most likely), make sure when you put it on a bridged channel, that the channel is going to be 4 OHM STABLE.  This means that it is rated to run like this, and will not harm it.  I have bridged amps of my own that were not rated to be, you just have to be careful and keep an eye on them, make sure nothing overheats.  I was using the older style rockford, which is a tank if you ask me. 

Well, I hope I solved your questions, if you have any more, just let me know.  Peace bro.

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
the amp will usually have the |+|-|-|+| markings....but... there is usually another bit of writing over top of those markings saying what the positive and negative are for bridged mode, kinda like this -|____|+.....well that diagram kinda sux. Usualy its the positive from left and the negative from right channel.....well do some investigation before connecting anything.....i cant be held responsible for my actions....laugh
muppetmaster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  

Werd

justin_92_92 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
yea i see where to hook up the bridge. One more thing....do I need to have two rca cables goin into this amp to make it so that 2 channels can put out sound or is it good to just have one set of rca cables goin into it. It looks to have room for a few cables. And if I do want more then one set of cables how would I accomplish this. Well the box is enclosed with just the 4 tube looking holes on top. I would guess they are to let the air out. By the way thanx guys for helping me on this. I knew I could get more out of this amp but wasnt sure how. A jeep wrangler should be a perfect size vehicule for a kick ass sound I hope :)  Would you guys recommend me getting a bigger altenater? or even a yellow top battery? I have a 4 gauge comming from the battery with a fuse and then I have that split up into two 8gauge wires....one for each amp. I beliver the rest of the wires are 8 gauge. And does it matter how big the ground wire is....and one more thing. Is it ok to have my power for my crossover comming from the amp? I have all the wires go to the amps then I just hooked some wires to one of the amps and fed my crossover from that.......If thats a boo boo then I probley should hook it up better :)   I have already had one burn in my jeep. My ground wire fried from the front to the back .....it was a tiny wire and I had some bad connecting problems at the deck...I think I fixed that though... I ended up running alot of new wires do to the fact that the ground wire was touching a few other wires when it melted....lots of smoke......and lots of tears lol
muppetmaster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2003 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  

I think you do have a bandpass box.  I think you should ditch this and get a sealed one.  You will notice a considerable increase in your bass response. 

About the RCA thing.  this amp was designed to also have two different inputs for dual sets of channels ( front and rear ).  What you need to do since you have subs, is get RCA Y splitters, and just split the signal into the two sets of RCA inputs on the amp.  Either that, or if your amp has a set of RCA preamp outputs, just run a short set of RCA's from that to the other input.  I don't think getting a bigger alternator is a big deal, unless you experience power loss, like dimming headlights, or your bass is really good when you first start it up, but over a period of time of playing, it starts to get quiet or muddy sounding.  The first thing I would do is upgrade the grounding wire from the battery to the vehicle chassis.  This is a commonly overlooked thing.  Go with the same gauge wire as your power wire, or bigger.  It also would'nt hurt to upgrade power wire from alt to bat, and so on.  I don't think an extra bat would be any big difference.  This is mostly for people with show vehicles that play the system for an extended period of time with the engine off.  For the ground, you could just run both 8 gauge to a distro block, then have a 4 ga come out into ground, OR you can have 8 ga come from each amp, and ground AT THE SAME SPOT.  This is important to eliminate grounding loops.  For the crossover, I think you should invest in a power distrobution block.  It makes things a lot cleaner, and gives it a show look.  You can hook the crossover in there.  It might be a bad idea to hook it into the amp power channel, cause if you have (should) a fuse inline with the power wire for the amp, it will probably prematurely blow the fuse, as it will be trying to draw more amperage during deep bass notes than the fuse is rated for. 

Hope I helped!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic