icon

Kicker comp VR 15's w/JBL bp1200.1?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eternalrollaz 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

Right now i have 2 audiobahn alum15q subs, and ive ordered a JBL bp1200.1 to push them. My question is, do you think 2 kicker comp VR 15's would produce a higher SPL with the JBL amp? Im not that worried about the SQ. Thanks for any help.

Nick

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
The Alum series subs are Audiobahns SQ subs, not to mention they are 6 Ohm DVC ratted at 1100 watts rms each. So the Kicker vr comps would be defiantly be a better match for your amp. Now without testing them both I can’t tell you which one will give you more SPL, but they should both be pretty close to one another (provided you give the Audiobahns the correct amount of power). But from the specs aspect the Audiobahn should give you more SPL   Now I used to use some Alum12X's and they had excellent SQ and still pounded. If you can run the Alum’s with the proper amount of power, I would defiantly use them over the Kicker comps.  If you have the money I would suggest you look at the Eclipse Aluminum subs http://www.eclipse-web.com/products/speaker/index.html they will defiantly give you all the SPL you want not to mention outstanding SQ. But are you looking to compete or is this an everyday driver?
eternalrollaz 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  

what type of amp did you run to your alum12x's?

bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
I had them on an Audiobahn 18001D. I had them in a sealed enclosure with a volume of 1.0 cu/ft per sub.
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  

If the Audiobahn subs have dual 6-ohm voice coils, how do you plan to wire them?  The only configurations I can come up with are an overall impedance of 6 Ohms, 3  Ohms (probably not recommended) or 1.5 Ohms.  The JBL 1200.a is advertised as being 2-ohm stable, but I don't know about 1.5 Ohms.  I know you have the subs already, but wouldn't you be better off with two 4-ohm subs paralleled for a 2-ohm load to match the amp?

Scott Gardner

bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
The JBL is stable to 1 ohm. But either way he looks at it the JBL will not work for the Alums. He needs 1100 watts rms @ 3 ohms. Or 2200 rms @1.5.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic