icon

creatively placed mid bass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bugluvr38 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 7:08 AM / IP Logged  

hello-  im just looking for some ideas.  i just ran across a couple of kicker 8"  mid bass free-air subs (rmb8's).  i think that they would be a great addition to my current system, but i cant figure out where to put them.  the car is a 93 grand cherokee.  i already have a sealed box w/ two infinity reference 12's in the back, and i kind of want to put them up front somewhere, anyways.  i guess they could go in the doors, since they are free-air subs, but then where would i put the 6.5's that are currently in the doors?  im open to all kinds of ideas, anything anyone might have.  i dont want to get too extreme, due to a small budget, and i dont want to cut up my seats.  anything else- an idea is somewhere to start!  thanks!

ryan

oh, god... what did i do now??
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
How about in the kicks?  You could put the subs in the doors and build some kicks for your mids/highs.  Just fiberglass/mold onto your existing panels- that's what I did.  Some people say fiberglass doesn't stick good to interior panels, but I haven't had problems.  I fiberglassed my door panel back together!  Just make sure you sand the panels you'll be adding on to (just roughen them a bit), and it'll adhere pretty good.  A tip I was always taught when building kicks is to aim the speakers at the dome light (on most vehicles).  This usually gives great sounding results, but some cars have the dome light closer to the front.  You can rig up a laser pointer system to the speaker baffles, or just use your trusty eyeball.
bugluvr38 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 5:29 AM / IP Logged  

that actually sounds like a great idea, i think it would work real well.i like the idea about aiming the speakers at the dome light.  i havent heard that before, it makes sense.  however, i dont have a lot of experience with fiberglass.  any suggestions where to get supplies/how-to info?  i learn things quick and i am willing to give it a shot.  i just think a little guidance would be helpful.  if you have any more advice, please, dont hesitate.  if nothing else, thanks for the tip!

ryan

geepherder 
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  

Ryan,

I haven't been on this forum for a few days.  I'm putting all my belongings away before I go back in the service.  You can get mixing pails and brushes in the paint section at the hardware store.  You can probably find resin (in gallons)/mat there as well.  Since it's cold, you may want to pick up some extra hardener to speed up the drying process.  For larger projects, I'd order a roll of mat from www.shopmaninc.com.  You'll also need to pick up some MDF to cut out your speaker baffles- you can use the scraps to mount them.  If you go to WalMart, you can get some fleece to stretch over the rings and give your enclosures their shape.  Also get some hot glue and a hot glue gun while you're there if you don't already have them.  Also, pick up plenty of masking tape, trash bags, and whatever else you want to use to keep the resin off your carpet.  Foil/spray glue works pretty good, too.  If you'll be painting the enclosures, pick up sand paper, primer, and paint, or whatever you'll be using to finish them off.

I usually tape off the work space, then spray some glue on the back of foil sheets and lay them over the tape.  Now use the trash bags to mask off your center console, etc.  The resin will come with liquid hardener.  What I do when I mix them up is pour 16 ounces of resin in the mixing pail, then squirt one quarter of one of the two tubes of hardener in, and mix.  This will give you the correct ratio for use at room temperature.  If you got some extra hardener for the resin, you can put some more in.  The colder temperatures will add time to the drying process.

Lay down a 2-3 layer of mat in your work area to take the shape of the floor.  While you let that dry, you can route out your speaker baffles.  Once the glass is dry, take your baffles over and see where you'll want to mount them.  Be sure to leave enough clearance for your speaker baske/magnets (I just mount the speakers to the baffles to do this).  Use some hot glue and scrap wood to mount them in place and.  Once you get the angle you want, remove the assemblies, and mark the glass where you'll want the kicks to begin and end.  Remove the speakers from the baffles.  Go ahead and cut them to shape.  Now take your fleece, and stretch it over the baffles and footprint you cut and hot glue it in place.  Resin the fleece and let dry.  Now you can apply more mat to add strength.

bugluvr38 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 5:05 AM / IP Logged  

geepherder-

i havent been on the forum in a couple weeks now, and i hope you get to see that i acknowledged your reply.  i wasnt expecting all that!  thank you so much!  i am printing your reply out (hope you dont mind) and i am making a trip to the hardware store this weekend.  so informative, start to finish.  i dont know about this forum, i havent been a member that long, but most forums' members would not go to that length to help another member.  i see you are going into the service- will you still have access to the forum?  id like to ask you a couple more questions along the way (probably, but i havent started yet!)  anyways, thanks again.  you have been a huge help, and i really appreciate it.

ryan

geepherder 
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  

Ryan,

you'll be surprised at how helpful people are on this forum.  I'm in the Navy inactive reserves now (served 4 years active), and going into the Marine Corps (the only branch that requires veterans go through their boot camp).  I was actually supposed to leave yesterday, but was put on hold.  When I go, I won't have access for three months.  That doesn't matter, though.  There are numerous folks here that can help you with anything you might possibly need to know, so just ask away and you should get a response.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic