icon

2001 Silverado audio wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jyeakley 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  

Somebody, please help.  I'm in dire need of a wiring diagram for the audio.  There is no factory plug, so a harness kit will not work.  If anybody has any ideas on this, please help.

Jason
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  

try this:

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/GM-Wiring.pdf

If this isn't correct (wrong colors), do you know how to hardwire?  With your multimeter set to DC voltage, find the wire with constant power.  Now turn the key on, and find the accessory wire.  Now set your meter to resistance.  Check for the wire with continuity to ground (use the key ring or rim of the cigarette lighter).  Turn on the parking lights to double check this isn't a dimmer wire- if it is, it'll show 12 volts.  Now check for continuity between pairs of wires.  You're looking for around 4 ohms (speakers).  As you find them, use a 9 volt battery and touch the wires to the posts.  You'll hear a pop from the speakers.  If the speaker cone pushes out (have an assistant visually check), the polarity is correct (the wire connected to the positive battery terminal is the positive speaker lead, and vice versa).  If it pulls in, the polarity is backwards.

jyeakley 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  

The diagram was extemely helpful.  I thought I could find it on my own, but managed to blow the fuse for my dash lights (which I've yet to locate, any suggestions).  I believe next time I'll save the frustration and just use the harness adapter!  Thanx again for your assistance.

Jason
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
I'm glad it helped you.  If I remember correctly (I haven't done this in a while) your fuse block is on the side of your dash board (driver's side).  There should be a pop off cover panel.  See if the cover has tells which fuse is for which circuit (it probably does).  If not, test the fuses one by one with a multimeter until you find the one that's blown.  I think the one you're looking for is in the passenger compartment, not under the hood.
RufNUSD 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like somebody grabbed the wrong grey or brown wire!! LOL
Someone pass me that bottle.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic