icon

2003/2004 Honda Accord crossovers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
RichmondR 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  

Greetings -- first post, please be gentle.

I am trying to locate the crossovers for the front speakers on my 2004 Accord EX-V6 w/NAV.  I am replacing the factory component speakers with Component speakers with a separate crossover (Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1s), and I want to make sure I splice the new crossover in at the right point.  I am not adding an amp-yet.

Thanks for any advice.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  

First find out if the stock tweeters are wired in parallel with the mids, chances are they are. This should mean that the crossover is a simple cap inline with the tweeter, it may be a small bump in the speaker line between the mid and the tweeter or could infact be a cap on the tweeter itself. If it not located there and the tweeter is not hooked up to the mid, then you may have a hidden amplifier in the vehicle. One step at a tie and we can get this solved for you, first find out how the speakers are wired.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think they actually have cross overs. They might wired in series similar to the acoustic research system that used to come in the old civic ex's. It probably better (until you get your amp) to just run the factory output to the imput on the crossover connect the speaker and tweeter to the ouputs on the crossover.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   2003/2004 Honda Accord crossovers - Last Post -- posted image.
RichmondR 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  

Found it -- a small black cap attached to the tweeter assembly itself.  Thanks, guys.

I haven't dug under the dashboard yet, but should I also be looking for a low-pass device in line with the woofer?  I checked a woofer and, unlike the tweeter, there's nothing attached. 

Since the capacitor was on the tweeter, I assume that increases the chances for an easy install with the Infinity crossover (by simply picking up the speaker line on the way to the speakers) , but now I'm wondering about the woofer.  Any thoughts?

Rich

PS Funniest part is that the magnet on the factory tweeter is almost as heavy as the magnet on the factory woofer!

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
Chances are the woofer is running full range, very very few stock systems use a crossover of any type on their mids. Good spot on the tweeter magnet, you should see factory bose speakers.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kenmci 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2004 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  

There is no crossover on the mids unless it is connected directly to the speaker.  Also unless you are using a shallow mount speaker you will need a spacer for the front speakers.  I used a one inch spacer and trimmed the plastic ring behind the speaker grill, once you get the door off you'll see.  Also if you have the four door (maybe true on the 2 door also) the back grill covers just pop off giving you access to remove the back speakers. 

I am planning on removing the front tweeters, but I might replace them what size are they?

RichmondR 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2004 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  

kenmci --

I will measure them when I get home tonight.  May not be able to post until later.  For what its worth, I did install the Kappa tweeters (they apparently attach to the grill for the tweeter) without a problem and their depth was stated as 1".

New problem is that the Kappa tweeters are VERY bright (compared with the factory tweeters), and I already have the Infinity crossovers adjusted down -4db (the most they will go).  Ugh.  No good -- yet.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic