icon

wiring dvc subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fatdaddyjoe 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  
i think i know the answer to this but i am going to ask just to show my friend he is wrong..can you wire a 2 channel amp to a dvc sub? one channel to each voice coil? he has a 4 ohm dvc sub and a 2 channel amp that is not 2 ohm stable and he want to wire each channel of the amp to each voice coil so he will have the 4 ohm load he needs for the amp to work..can he do this?? thanks
the louder the better !!!!!!
can you feel it ?????
staudio 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  
yes, but it can be dangerous for the sub. If there's any difference in the signals of the two channels it can rip the voice coils apart and destroy the sub.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it can be done, the difference in the signals at lower frequencies are negligable at best. Be careful that the amp does not have 2 gain controls, if it does this will create a nightmare. There is also no harm in hooking the amp up in bridged mode to only one voice coil, provided that the coil / former can dissipate the heat generated by the input power.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
fatdaddyjoe 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
so a basic 2 channel amp can be run to a dvc sub one voice coil per channel ???????
the louder the better !!!!!!
can you feel it ?????
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it can, I did this years ago and his sub is still in operation today. It is generally not recommended by most on this site. It is usually recommended to wire the dvc sub in series to make it a 8ohm driver, bridge the amp to mono to run it. If your amp is rated at 50w rms x 2 @ 4ohm and 200w x 1 @ 4ohm, it will be the same amount of power if run in stereo to each voice coil or in mono to the 8 ohm combined load.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2004 at 4:06 AM / IP Logged  

all of the out comes are dependent on the amp and sub combination. I did do this to my jlW3v2 when i bought it and within a week it went to sitting under my bed with all the other conquered subs.

Quad L Handyman services

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic